Wee dismantle by a wee lad

18 stoner

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pretty good pics there, make the tree look big, or me look even smaller?? haha

Was a reet good day, although I had to supply my own sandwhiches!!! haha.

The ground at base was soggy, so I think we decided the row of logs was to spread the load slightly. Pole was felled by Pete (18 stoner) and was textbook. A peach of a day, spot on ground crew, lovely hospitable customer, no broken fences, Jobs a good-un. Thanks to Pete and Mike.

Shrek............pick away mate.

still quite green at the bottom i see, i take it you will mill it on site with an alaskan then?doesnt look like access is good from the pics

Yeh Stevie, still very wet at the bottom, only the smaller limbs will go for firewood straight away. Will be taking the alaskan on Monday.

The access was about 20 meters away from the stem but only 33" gate, hence the mill on site.

Worst bit about that job was all the dead snapped of twigs on the deck after, must say was refreshing to work with someone who knows how to "let it run". Especially important to avoid shock loading on dead trees, cos I only had one pair of pants with me.

I think the row of logs to fell onto cause more damage, if the stem contacts one of them before the others it buries it in the soil.

Much better doing a shallow gob and a small pile of brash for the end of the stem to hit.

Just my tuppence for the skinny little twerp :001_rolleyes:

Little twerp did good, the bit on the floor was my domain:blushing:

As it is on this job, i did consider dropping the stem but it was to be milled, so as a new mill operator, i guessed it would be easier to mill on top of a log bed rather than trying to mill a stem that was half buried in the lawn as it was quite soft on the ground. I am not saying it was the correct thing to do though Dean:confused1:

Nicely done!!

Did you not want to mill the best bit at the base???

The thing thats probably not that clear in the pics Dave, is it was a co-dominant stem, splitting at about 4 feet from the ground, hence the high felling cut of the final stem. You can just make out the second stem cut off in the pic of the stump.

Hope thats what you were getting at Dave.