Can/should this oak be saved?

Fisherman

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to suggest it, but do bear in mind a tree surgeon makes his money doing tree work, the bigger the job the more the paycheck. I'm not suggesting anyone you have spoken to is that unscrupulous, but I've met and worked with more than one person over the years who would see your tree as potential money/firewood regardless of whether it can be saved or not. If you want it gone, well, it's your tree. However if you wish to retain it, I'd like to think you are well informed of your options. Best of luck whatever you choose...

I think it's widely acknowledged that mature trees, providing they are not too close to the house, add to the value of your property by lending an air of history /maturity. I think most people would see an ancient /veteran tree alongside the driveway to their house as an asset (think stately homes).

I like Sloth's comments throughout the threat, they mirror my thoughts (which is why I haven't commented, it's already being said!)

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but for Fisherman, perhaps have a browse through some of the online resources here:

http://www.ancienttreeforum.co.uk/resources/ancient-tree-guides/

It'll give a fantastic insight into the value of retaining mature trees and may help you to make your decision.

Thanks for your comments Sloth but I've got to say I liked both firms that came out and felt they wanted what was best. I've been around trees all my life, cut down hundreds and planted thousands. My own feeling when the branch first dropped was that the tree was doomed but have thought hard about it and may well try to save it. I won't deny that the fact that it's cheaper to try and save it rather that cut the whole tree down is a factor as well.