How often do you wash?

Dean Lofthouse

I wouldn't ever be able to relax after that, thing is if you have a tree to anchor into you don't really need a platform. Only used them when tree's knakered

I only find anchor points externally from the basket (when they are available) simply to make me feel safe after what happened, on a machine with a known fault.

The odds of what happened to me happening again on another machine are very very slight. It was a catastrophic failure of a major saftey system. Just as brakes failing on a car would be potentially fatal, but how many people do you know or have heard of being killed thru brake failure. Probably non and that's out of millions of cars on the road.

If your pet lion mauled you once and you got away with it, you wouldn't put yourself in a situation where it could do it again. crap analogy, I know.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only find anchor points externally from the basket (when they are available) simply to make me feel safe after what happened, on a machine with a known fault.

The odds of what happened to me happening again on another machine are very very slight. It was a catastrophic failure of a major saftey system. Just as brakes failing on a car would be potentially fatal, but how many people do you know or have heard of being killed thru brake failure. Probably non and that's out of millions of cars on the road.

If your pet lion mauled you once and you got away with it, you wouldn't put yourself in a situation where it could do it again. crap analogy, I know.

if my brakes on my car failed i would take it back or get them fixed so it could not happen again i would not drive that car again if i thought it could possibly happen again it may not be me that got hurt but either a passenger or innocent third party crap analogy i know

Platforms have their place, if a tree is stone dead as in our case and there are high risk targets then a platform has to be the way forward.

However if you have what you consider to be a safe anchor point asin your case why not just climb the tree ?

We did not have a high enough anchor point to reach the tips safetly.

if my brakes on my car failed i would take it back or get them fixed so it could not happen again i would not drive that car again if i thought it could possibly happen again it may not be me that got hurt but either a passenger or innocent third party crap analogy i know

Yes, but what if the car cost £42,000 and to be able to take it back you had to spend £30,000 minimum in order to prove legally that the car was at fault and not your driving.

Then you are left with a £42,000 car, your not telling me that after finding the fault and remedying it, that you would then just stand there admiring your £42,000 car and not use it. Taking into account that you would only use it where third parties can't be injured.

Platforms have their place, if a tree is stone dead as in our case and there are high risk targets then a platform has to be the way forward.

However if you have what you consider to be a safe anchor point asin your case why not just climb the tree ?

We did not have a high enough anchor point to reach the tips safetly.

You must bear in mind that we are talking about my situation after nearly being killed in a mewp.

You do not have to find an anchor point. I am only saying what I do now after my experience and using the "same" Mewp that tried to kill me.

I will anchor onto even a dead tree, the chances of the mewp doing it again are very very slim and the chances of me testing that anchor point for real is very slim, it just gives me peace of mind, otherwise I would not get in a mewp again.

I can go up a tree 90ft and move around in the crown no problems. But I would be terrified going up 95ft in a mewp free air, it is phsycological I know, but I cannot ever fully trust one again, too many things can go wrong or fail.

The company I bought the mewp off, asked me to go in another machine, because told them it had affected my trust in them, I got 20ft up and sh1t myself. I have found I can get over that fear by attaching an anchor point

You must bear in mind that we are talking about my situation after nearly being killed in a mewp.

You do not have to find an anchor point. I am only saying what I do now after my experience and using the "same" Mewp that tried to kill me.

I will anchor onto even a dead tree, the chances of the mewp doing it again are very very slim and the chances of me testing that anchor point for real is very slim, it just gives me peace of mind, otherwise I would not get in a mewp again.

I can go up a tree 90ft and move around in the crown no problems. But I would be terrified going up 95ft in a mewp free air, it is phsycological I know, but I cannot ever fully trust one again, too many things can go wrong or fail.

The company I bought the mewp off, asked me to go in another machine, because told them it had affected my trust in them, I got 20ft up and sh1t myself. I have found I can get over that fear by attaching an anchor point

me personally I think mewps have definately got there place and they are excellent bits of kit used in the right scenerios but thats for another arguement another day & on another thread. i take my helmet off to you for even going back on a mewp after what happened to you, i'm not to sure whether i would have the gahooners to get back in one. If anchoring into a tree helps to get confidence then who are we to judge

me personally I think mewps have definately got there place and they are excellent bits of kit used in the right scenerios but thats for another arguement another day & on another thread. i take my helmet off to you for even going back on a mewp after what happened to you, i'm not to sure whether i would have the gahooners to get back in one. If anchoring into a tree helps to get confidence then who are we to judge

Cheers Greenboy :151: