Lowering Device what's everyone using

arbormonkey

Hi mate

What made you go for the ld1 over the ld2 as I know it's cosidarebly cheaper and I'm trying to weigh up if the ld2 is worth the extra money

There isn't much between them. I guess if your into big negative Rigging the LD2 has a larger bollard, also plate is all aluminium and bolted not welded together (no rust in the English weather and easy to check if the bolts are tight not easy to check welds) but that's about the only difference. Maybe the break can hold more on the LD2? But I don't know without looking it up. GRCS are not CE marked, makes like a little more difficult for LOLAR and if it broke and destroyed a house (insurance) and it doesn't have the break! Whichever, LD1 and LD2 you go do you won't be disappointed.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1487778902.000206.jpg.8b3ce77de52e8fffd26ef6ea3d987417.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1487778934.431753.jpg.aac49200bd27a5792733c4afed6d4b8c.jpg

Hi mate

What made you go for the ld1 over the ld2 as I know it's cosidarebly cheaper and I'm trying to weigh up if the ld2 is worth the extra money

Chose the LD1 mostly because of the price. Knowing what I know now I'd be inclined to have spent extra for the LD2 as it is the updated model. Having said that my LD1 has been well capable of everything I've thrown at it so don't really need the bigger one. The LD2 is the next best thing to a crane....awesome lifting power.

Chose the LD1 mostly because of the price. Knowing what I know now I'd be inclined to have spent extra for the LD2 as it is the updated model. Having said that my LD1 has been well capable of everything I've thrown at it so don't really need the bigger one. The LD2 is the next best thing to a crane....awesome lifting power.

In this country you would be hard pushed to out do either 😂

There isn't much between them. I guess if your into big negative Rigging the LD2 has a larger bollard, also plate is all aluminium and bolted not welded together (no rust in the English weather and easy to check if the bolts are tight not easy to check welds) but that's about the only difference. Maybe the break can hold more on the LD2? But I don't know without looking it up. GRCS are not CE marked, makes like a little more difficult for LOLAR and if it broke and destroyed a house (insurance) and it doesn't have the break! Whichever, LD1 and LD2 you go do you won't be disappointed.

[ATTACH]217165[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]217166[/ATTACH]

Interesting device. The brake looks to be a bit of an unnecessary faff to me as it is not mid-line detachable so you have to feed the entire rope though to employ it. I am not sure that the bolts in the aluminium frame would be stronger than the full length welds on the GRCS. You suggest rust might be a problem but I have no such issue with mine. I assume that the bolts are steel? Have you ever noticed the corrosion that occurs between steel and aluminium over time? (Take a look at an old landrover!).

Interesting device. The brake looks to be a bit of an unnecessary faff to me as it is not mid-line detachable so you have to feed the entire rope though to employ it. I am not sure that the bolts in the aluminium frame would be stronger than the full length welds on the GRCS. You suggest rust might be a problem but I have no such issue with mine. I assume that the bolts are steel? Have you ever noticed the corrosion that occurs between steel and aluminium over time? (Take a look at an old landrover!).

Most people think that about the break, but it does help when you want to switch from winching to lowering and you want to take some raps off, but if you really don't like it it can be detached and used like a GRCS. I'm guessing it was needed for the CE marking. Yea your right about corrosion, the LD1 is welded steel like the GRCS 👍🏻

This is the video which I made, bit long and I'm no natural speaker so bare with it