Conifer hedge removal

hamdogg

Just having a debate with one of the lads I work with today!

He says that a domestic conifer hedge in a conservation area needs permission to remove!

I said if it's a domestic conifer no longer than 20m not on farmland etc then you don't need permission!!?!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not a TPO, conservation area is a different type of protection and isnt the same as a TPO, although you still have to go throught the same planning permissions in theory.

Yes but to stop the works would mean to tpo the hedge! And that's not gonna happen!

Do I need permission to remove my hedgerow, either in whole or in part?

Yes, if your hedgerow is on, or runs alongside:

agricultural land

common land, including town or village greens;

land used for forestry or the breeding or keeping of horses, ponies or donkeys; or

a Local Nature Reserve or Site of Special Scientific Interest.

No, if it:

is shorter than 20 metres (unless both ends join up with other hedgerow or it is part of a longer hedgerow); or

is in, or borders, your garden.

Gaps of 20 metres or less are counted as part of the hedgerow. A gap may be a break in the vegetation or it may be filled, by for example, a gate.

You also do not need permission to remove your hedgerow:

to get access - either in place of an existing opening, provided that you plant a new stretch of hedgerow to fill the original entrance, or when another means of entry is not available, except at disproportionate cost. You are advised however, to contact the authority prior to undertaking this work;

to gain temporary entry to help in an emergency; or

to implement a planning permission (but in the case of permitted development rights, most hedgerow removal WILL require prior permission).

Normal management of your hedgerow does not require prior permission

Found that on a government website

That's not from a CA website, sounds like more to do with the hedgerows regs/act.

Dbh is the deciding factor in CA,s. LA may not object to removing it, but they still must have the option to, by serving a TPO.

We submit for significant reductions of LC hedges but not annual/biennial 'trimming', although strictly, I suppose, we should.