Petrol hedge trimmer / ?????? buggered

timber-don

Have been fighting with my old trusted petrol hedge cutter for the last 12 months, It will only part run on choke It got that bad today I threw it in the skip, then fetched it out & gave it another chance & tried to fix it for what felt the 800th time, could not get it to run so it went back in the skip like a sufrace to air missile, I was going to get a new one next week. While calming down over a nice warm drink & remembered a similar situation with a 50cc moped I owned 35 years ago, So I took the exhaust off & like magic it was running like a dream, Yes you have found the problem, the spark arresting mesh in the silencer had got choked up with oil & carbon, managed to clean this out & it works like a new one, Sunday has not turned out so bad & I don't have to spend money next week, a win win situation.

Have been fighting with my old trusted petrol hedge cutter for the last 12 months, It will only part run on choke It got that bad today I threw it in the skip, then fetched it out & gave it another chance & tried to fix it for what felt the 800th time, could not get it to run so it went back in the skip like a sufrace to air missile, I was going to get a new one next week. While calming down over a nice warm drink & remembered a similar situation with a 50cc moped I owned 35 years ago, So I took the exhaust off & like magic it was running like a dream, Yes you have found the problem, the spark arresting mesh in the silencer had got choked up with oil & carbon, managed to clean this out & it works like a new one, Sunday has not turned out so bad & I don't have to spend money next week, a win win situation.

Well done . I take the spark screen out of my saws from new and loose it somewhere :001_smile:

Well done . I take the spark screen out of my saws from new and loose it somewhere :001_smile:

When I said " I cleaned it " Is what I should have said was, I cleaned the silencer out, There is no longer a mesh to get blocked again, If I think back to how long I have been buggered about by this hedge trimmer :glare: