Jensen chassis snap on the way to job this morn

Scott Farmborough

On our way to a job in Oxted this morn....and their was a nasty scraping sound coming from the chipper, pulled over and sure enough the chipper chassis had snapped in half with the hopper dragging behind:thumbdown:....the only thing holding it together was the belts and mud guards.

We managed to limp to the job holding the whole lot together with a couple of ratchet straps.

To be fair i had noticed last weekend a very small hairline crack within the chassis which was on my to do list.

I guess what i am saying is dont ignore or put off any machine defects however small.

Hopefully Charles at Arbrep sevices will fix it tomorrow, who by the way i can recommend to anyone needing work done on your chippers.....fast reliable service.

i (ahem!!)have a 518 and the drawbar snapped...but its a particularly bad design...the 528 has a proper chassis i believe whereas the 518 just has a tubular piece of metal run along the length of the machine with an awkward kink that seems to bear all the weight.

Is the awkward kink as you described similar to the old Timberwolf / Entec ?

As I can say mine cracked on the kink swan neck whatever its called . Machine is the early Timberwolf 125 . Again I noticed a hair line crack and got a friend with a car transporter to bring it home . Was welded up that night much to the neighbours approval NOT :001_smile: