Storm damaged trees and where to cut back to

Island Lescure

This may seem like a stupid question, and considering I have a bit of experience and qualifications, I almost didn't ask it but;

Where would you take these sorts of branches(end is around 20cm dia(some larger)) back to?

There are epicormic or adventitious shoots just emerging from all along the branch. Some branches are very long but have no previous shoots present, only just emerging ones (<5cm long).

Back till there is no torn bark?

Back to the nearest shoots?

The branch stores energy but also requires energy to sustain itself, plus it needs to compartmentalize, so better by a shoot but another meter plus down or until there is no torn bark but farther out?

We left the branches stubbed in many instances with a view to come back in six months to re-assess and further "reduce" where necessary....

Thanks for the linterest.

DSC_0582.jpg.30510f1842fad2c0ef57cd4e984adfc7.jpg

Im no expert but i always prune back to the next growth point.If there is a timescale in place to return too the tree then id say leave the stubs to see how they well heal.

Re-assess on your next visit and cut back where necessary.

Interestingly i read a story lately of a tree surgeon who was removing a limb over a highway for his LA and the TO insisted on leaving a 5 meter stub with a view to return to the stub in 12 months to reduce again.

Check out BS3998.

Not sure how applicable they are in India:biggrin:

As it's a species I'm not familiar with, I'd try to get an idea of both its ability to regenerate and compartmentalize decay.

If both appear good, and you can come back at a later date, then prune more for aesthetic form with an idea that you can sort out problems that have occurred from the earlier pruning.

Otherwise prune to a 'standard' regardless of what the tree is going to end up looking like.

Cheers. I have just looked at BS3998 but it doesn't actually talk about this sort of thing...

I figure leaving as much branch on as possible with a view that in the long term the smaller diameter branches will integrate better with epicormic and adventitious branches even if the tree will have to use more energy to maintain existing non energy producing parts. Also, any potential decay will be farther out from the main stem.