Firewood Processors

strider

Help required,

I am a green woodworker who has been processing firewood for about 4 years on a very small scale. Last winter the demand went through the roof and has not stopped since. I am looking to invest in a portable self powered processor, either JAPA 300 or Hakki Pilke hawk. As this will be a vlarge investment any advise or expereice with either or both machines would be much welcome.

Also can somebody point me in the right direction for getting the machine insured for public liability and theft.

Many thanks

I had the first road towable Hawk in the UK, brilliant machine for the sort of use you'll be giving it but a bit lightweight for full on commercial operations. There are a few modifications you can do to make it faster without compromising any of the safety features - great on straight grained green timber - lacks a bit of oomph on seasoned stuff especially with the 6 way.

As far as I know the japa is 99% a mirror image of the hawk so should be as good.

Can't help insurance wise, used to store mine with no drawbar and chained to the barn, blocked in with the tractor,

Many thanks for your response, there dosn't seem to much between both the machines. Most of my own spitting will be Sweet Chestnut, which splits lovely. Insurance is becoming a real headache, cheapest quote is just under £1000.00, far to much money, but hopefully I have made some new enquiries which might be cheaper