Where's the work?

voj maintenance

Hi all and a happy new year.

Just wondering how people are doing for tree work in South Wales. I do landscaping and maintenance which ticks over ok but wanted to get into trees. So i've done my tickets and got my kit, got the insurance, all off my own back, which isn't cheap as you know, but a year and a bit on I'm still struggling to get the work. I enjoy tree work and it beats cutting grass for sure. I've had new cards done and advertised all over the net, telling my existing customers too but not much happening?

Any advice or anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Arbtalk mobile app

i'm in the same boat but different end of the country, primarily landscaping (the bread and butter) and some tree work (which I enjoy more). Problem round here is too many small operators like myself, a lot of part time firemen doing tree work, gardeners, guys who worked in various government departments and estates, all with basic tree surgery skills, using them to bring in the extra cash. That's the basic problem which I admit i'm part of. Then there are the established firms who are booked up for months in advance. There tends to be one big firm per region round here and many people go straight to the big firm with the big reputation. Not sure how best to carve out a sustainable chunk of the action, I have settled on keeping the landscaping as the bulk of the operation and getting my tree fix taking on the awkward tree work that nobody else wants. I do think that having a separate company name, website, facebook page etc. for your tree business might help, as often think people rightly assume a full time tree firm will do a better job than a firm that only do it part time. Just my opinion

How much are you spending per month on advertising and with who?

I've only ever properly paid for advertising with yellow pages once. It was a complete wastes of money. I did run two months on Google adwords recently but not one lead from that. The only other stuff I've done is get the van sign written and run a few local ads, and obviously I've always got some quality cards handy. Nearly all my work comes from word of mouth.

i'm in the same boat but different end of the country, primarily landscaping (the bread and butter) and some tree work (which I enjoy more). Problem round here is too many small operators like myself, a lot of part time firemen doing tree work, gardeners, guys who worked in various government departments and estates, all with basic tree surgery skills, using them to bring in the extra cash. That's the basic problem which I admit i'm part of. Then there are the established firms who are booked up for months in advance. There tends to be one big firm per region round here and many people go straight to the big firm with the big reputation. Not sure how best to carve out a sustainable chunk of the action, I have settled on keeping the landscaping as the bulk of the operation and getting my tree fix taking on the awkward tree work that nobody else wants. I do think that having a separate company name, website, facebook page etc. for your tree business might help, as often think people rightly assume a full time tree firm will do a better job than a firm that only do it part time. Just my opinion

You make some good points there flatyre. I'm wondering too whether if advertising as a qualified and insured is putting people off as stupid as that sounds, I know there are people around here getting tree work and they are definitely not insured or qualified. eg cutting limbs from trees, off ladders with a chainsaw in one hand and holding on with the other!

I think advertising the tree work separately is definitely one to think about though.

Cheers

Are there many trees in Wales? I don't know the area but thought it was hilly and grassy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Don't forget the sheep!! Yes lots of trees. It's surprising what people grow in thier gardens around here.

Don't forget the sheep!! Yes lots of trees. It's surprising what people grow in thier gardens around here.

Yeah sometimes it's ganja in Pembroke Dock gardens!

It's tough out there bud, have you got kids? Start chatting to the parents at picking up time! Try & get in with a farmer, it works for me & has led to a lot of work for me last year, as long as you can put up with 'their ways'

Trouble round here is the price of scrap is rock bottom & every punter is price sensitive. Word of mouth is great & recommendations are the best way for a firm to excel & succeed but it's getting the clients in the first place...

How much did Google charge you & how many clicks did you get?