Dead welly

Peter

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbing line choked to the stem, tied with a bowline with a long tail. After I set the chains I rapped down the single line, flipped my wire core round and then pulled the choked climbing line down. I had it set that way to facilitate a quick descent in an emergency.

Towards the end my 3 metre wirecore got too short so I had to extend it with a sling....

Climbing line choked to the stem, tied with a bowline with a long tail. After I set the chains I rapped down the single line, flipped my wire core round and then pulled the choked climbing line down. I had it set that way to facilitate a quick descent in an emergency.

Towards the end my 3 metre wirecore got too short so I had to extend it with a sling....

nice, thats a good idea leaving the tail long so you can pull it down to you to untie:thumbup1:

when i was watching you do the second lift(i know its easy sitting here and not up the tree, and this is no way critisicing mate) when i do chains, rather than swing them around, i let them slack on one side and take the loose loop to the hook, rather than swing the hook end, if you ever get a chance to work with the blue tooth headsets its night and day, because you can just say up or down rather than catch the attention of the operator and give hand signals, or head nodding if you are wrestling with heavy chains, lol. the soft bark is a nightmare, i found it worse lower down, compared to higher up the stem.:001_smile:

i got a set of chains made up years ago, i dont know what i was thinking, i cant lift them myself, the idea was to have a top ring big enough to just grab with a timber grab, then 2 huge chains with hooks, now i have a cracking wee set with 4 chains, light and really easy to work, but your big welly would need those huge ones.

the trouble with working wwith kit that is awkward is you cant be so precise with them as you are struggling all the time, its like getting hi gubs in with an 088, i usually just lift and drop, wherever it lands will do ha ah

I switched to getting the crane operator to dump both hooks on the top, and then working them round from there, as you say. It is impossible to swing a 7 tonne chain hook round the back, as I very quickly realised.

That’s the one Peter. Always dump the necessary amount of chain on top of the spar, configure your chokers then slowly slip them over the edge and into position….one at a time of course. A straight-through cut makes for an easier lift all round though, take my word for it. Nice work all the same, well done:thumbup1: