Cutting back a hedge to a boundary?

benedmonds

I have a client with a large leylandii hedge overhanging the boundary. The hedge has been subject to an antisocial behaviour act and recently reduced to below the actionable height of 11.5m.

The hedge is two rows and cutting back to the boundary would result in the back row being killed. I have explained this to the client but he would rather see brown then have the ever expanding hedge in his garden.

Obviously there are issues between the neighbours but what could the tree owner do if the neighbour cut back to their boundary resulted in killing a row of trees, even though it would not effect the tree owner much if at all.

(Interestingly as a side I quoted to reduce the horrible hedge earlier in the year £1100 but the tree owner got some guys to travel up from Somerset to Derby!)

59766da4628ab_20150730_1146511.jpg.37180347ef25ecd51ab43d225d059561.jpg

I guess another possible issue of concern, and potentially a greater one if it were to happen, is the hedge being wind-thrown / blown over as a result of massively increased exposure.

This happened to a friend of mine when he removed a line of Leylandii's on his boundary and that evening during strong winds his neighbours, which were planted at a similar time, blew over...oops!

Otherwise, whilst the concern is generally a compensation claim for loss of amenity / screening / privacy I'm not aware of any case law to support this...let's hope we don't have any soon. :001_rolleyes:

Cheers..

Paul

I'll have to retract the t**t actually as I misread the original post and now realise it was tree owner that got in someone else rather than Benedmonds client. Sorry

I may not be wrong possibly as he doesn't seem to like supporting his local tradesmen.

However who cares

Professionalism would be to do as you've proposed not cut back to hard. If client is insistent and you want the work crack on.

I'll have to retract the t**t actually as I misread the original post and now realise it was tree owner that got in someone else rather than Benedmonds client. Sorry

I may not be wrong possibly as he doesn't seem to like supporting his local tradesmen.

However who cares

Professionalism would be to do as you've proposed not cut back to hard. If client is insistent and you want the work crack on.

Oh right, I thought you'd got confused.

Anyway I've had loads of this stuff over the years, and when you hate a neighbour every piece of tree than impedes on your "airspace" is a personal affront and looking at some browned off wood that will hopefully kill the tree is infinitely preferable to having the bastid's trees overhanging.

Oh right, I thought you'd got confused.

Anyway I've had loads of this stuff over the years, and when you hate a neighbour every piece of tree than impedes on your "airspace" is a personal affront and looking at some browned off wood that will hopefully kill the tree is infinitely preferable to having the bastid's trees overhanging.

Hahaha