How long do the Granberg grinding stones last?

CCOS

I'm looking into the Granberg 12v grinder but can't find any thing about how long the grinding stones last. I know that it depends but any experience with them? How do the last with normal sharpening.

ooh It's mainly going to sharpen 3/8" chisel chain and the granberg ripping chain at 25" and 36"

Jesper

It's a bit of a piece of string question in some ways as depends on soooo many variables.

How long does a file last? Oregon say you should go through at least x2 to x3 files per chain (but this is assuming you get right to the very end of the chain)...

As the stone wears it loses shape - at this stage you are best to change the stone BUT keep the old one.

If you are grinding a really damaged chain put the old stone back on - use it to remove 80% of the damage - put the nice newer one back to put the final finish on there.

This will really help you get the most out of your grinding stones.

:001_smile:

just tickled my 36" ripping chain, as long as it is just a tickle I have been getting about 10 sharpenings out of a stone these days. I do what Rob has recommended regarding using old stones to repair wrecked chains.

If you work them too hard they won't last long. But I would recommend the grinder for speed especially on longer chains. The cost of the stones for me is not prohibitive.

make sure you wear gloves cos I get a terrible shock off of my grinder when I forget.