Hayter harrier 48 drive problem

Andyd1606

Hi all I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have a 2006 Hayter harrier 48 which I'm having problems with the drive on. When I start it and run it for about half an hour the drive mechanism works perfectly I have fast and slow speed.

Then for no reason I seem to lose the fast speed and it crawls along like a snail. It will carry on at this pace unless I turn it off and leave it to stand for about half hour then it runs fine again.

This is getting frustrating especially with some of the bigger lawns I have to cut.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with it and how I can rectify the problem.

Thanks Andy

At the simplest it will be the belts. They wear quickly and start to slip, They can slip even more when worn.

But these machines are also prone to failure of the clutch mechanism inside the gearbox. This also gets worse when worn. You may improve it for a while by adjusting the clutch cable. They do need frequent adjustment from new and if they don't get it then they slip themselves to failure.

• Like 1

Thanks Gardenkit I did wonder if the belts could have worn. I have changed the clutch cable recently but had this problem before and I thought the cable appeared to be sticking which was causing the problem.

I think I'll hope for the best and get some belts then if not go for the expensive option!

• 7 years later...

hi I have HAYTER 48 AUTO DRIVE  WITH A DRIVE PROBLEM I HAVE CHANGED THE VARIATOR PULLEY AND NEW BELTS BUT STILL ONLY GOES VERY SLOWLY THE ENGINE IS RUNNING OK BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO TRY IT ONLY MOVES WITH THE LEVER IN THE FAST POSITION IT DOES NOT MOVE WITH THE LEVER IN SLOW POSITION

I HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP?

Edited by wesdog
TO INSERT THAT IT IS AUTO DRIVE