Garden maintenance (again)

rob39

Hi all

Its looking likely I'm going to be made redundant in the next 2-3 months. Im a keen Gardner worked in the forestry some years ago as a gopher then cutter then choker man, regularly cut/strim a few gardens for 4 elderly couples as well as some basic landscape stuff (laying paths, fencing etc), still take down the odd tree but very occasionally.

I'm looking to see if I can expand on this and turn it in to a small business. Looking at pricing ideas, what could I charge etc. I'm in Ayrshire I'm looking at taking up some further tree felling/maintenance courses to get me up to standard. Also idea where I can get info on council grass cutting/maintenance contracts?????

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Rob

Hi all

Its looking likely I'm going to be made redundant in the next 2-3 months. Im a keen Gardner worked in the forestry some years ago as a gopher then cutter then choker man, regularly cut/strim a few gardens for 4 elderly couples as well as some basic landscape stuff (laying paths, fencing etc), still take down the odd tree but very occasionally.

I'm looking to see if I can expand on this and turn it in to a small business. Looking at pricing ideas, what could I charge etc. I'm in Ayrshire I'm looking at taking up some further tree felling/maintenance courses to get me up to standard. Also idea where I can get info on council grass cutting/maintenance contracts?????

Rob

I find council work bloody hard to get on to!! I'm always trying to contact local councils and parishes!! The district councils seem to ignore you!! I know a few local big firms that do a lot of the work and I'm sure it's all 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻💷💷💷💷!! But good luck with it all sounds like you will have a good start!!

I find council work bloody hard to get on to!! I'm always trying to contact local councils and parishes!! The district councils seem to ignore you!! I know a few local big firms that do a lot of the work and I'm sure it's all 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻💷💷💷💷!! But good luck with it all sounds like you will have a good start!!

I do quite well out of local parishes.

No backhanders here!!

Hi all

Rob

Re. Council grass cutting don't run before you can walk!! I've got 2 big parishes I cut grass for and if your not careful it can turn into a money pit!

It's cost me £15K to get setup for it and that's with a 6 year old mower. And a 16 year old backup.

It's not as simple as buy a mower and go cut.

But go for it start with residential to give you a regular base of customers.

Go and see the local parish councils clerks and make yourself known.

As you can pick up all sorts of other stuff from them.

When they trust you they may ask you to tender for the grass.

As said be polite and reliable and also not too expensive to start with and you will be fine.

Not so much the parishes! More the district councils!!

Not even tried with the districts too wide an area for me as jobs could be miles away and not worth the travel time. I've only git school hours to work in as I do the school run morning and evening.

I imagine it's more difficult for the district councils and as you say maybe jobs for the boys or backhanders

When first I started, I cut lawns for £10 each but that lead to more and more other jobs. My 2nd ever customer had me going back to do fencing, repair a patio as well returf back garden. I now do the gardening at their son's and next door neighbours.

To price up fencing, work out how much per metre in materials it's going to cost you and then more or less double it. However you might want to find out how much your competitors charge and see if it's worth your time/effort undercutting them.

Good luck with the new venture!