Traverse Hook

Wooden Hand

ODSK made these 2 videos about the traverse hook. They get them from Freeworker in Germany. Recently I changed to the Epple hook, it's pretty amazing and a constant item on my harness now.

Freeworker - Ronny Epple Throw Hook Tree Catcher - climb up high!

Im a believer , such a good tool .

funnily enough paul i was just watching those vids when i clicked on to arbtalk.

I made one a few months ago [ame]

[/ame]

whats your comparison for the two ? I've heard that the epple hook is a lot better

but without trying the other i can't say ....... but the apple hook stays with me most climbs.

thanks for sharing about these hooks - I've been struggling with trees where a limb grows out from the trunk, with the top a long way from rest of canopy, side branches are too high and not good enough yet to swing for it. These hooks.

What a profit margin though - used to do fabrication and welding, 100 euros wow

Throwing hook is a good one for the kit bag. Rarely use it, but for avenues of trees, forests, big spreading red oaks and the like it's invaluable.

I saw your video a wee while back Jesse, you definitely took to hooks eh? I think a major advantage of the epple hook is the bungee to stop it getting caught. It's a little thing but it's gotta be a big bonus...

Edited by Mr. Squirrel

Nice video! Perfect example of the hook. It sounds a little dramatic but I couldnt be without it now, I like the size and weight of the epple hook and implement it into work positioning ideas, it is far more portable than the yellow hook so stays happily with me. Recently i've gotten into double and sometimes triple rope work positioning and the hook saves time in setting up these systems.

Yup! I agree with the other lads, myself and the other climbers in our company use it everytime we think we might have a tree with a big crown, or an avenue of trees.

One job we had in avenue of lime trees, a rather bizarre job where the customer wanted just the top 4metres of every tree cut off (looked rubbish, but that's what the customer wanted) and I had one side, workmate had the other side, we didnt touch the ground til the row was finished. I recommend the hook!!

Wonderful tool.... and fun.... :thumbup: