Husky 345 running like a pig

Stereo

I think it's a 345 anyway. I admit that at the end of last winter I put it in the cupboard and because of various chaos, forgot about it. Pulled it out today to do a job. Put in fresh fuel but it's running badly. Will start and then stop. Sometimes will rev, then goes to no power, then takes off again. Went through about a tank of fuel today with no improvement.

Seems to run better if the saw is tilted forwards.

I know I need to pay it some proper respect but any ideas what could have caused this? Has the old fuel gummed up somewhere? The chain is running freely and chain oil is flowing well.

At first I assumes there was some old fuel but there was very little left and I filled it right up with fresh. Do I need to totally drain the saw and start with fresh fuel?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's a 345 anyway. I admit that at the end of last winter I put it in the cupboard and because of various chaos, forgot about it. Pulled it out today to do a job. Put in fresh fuel but it's running badly. Will start and then stop. Sometimes will rev, then goes to no power, then takes off again. Went through about a tank of fuel today with no improvement.

Seems to run better if the saw is tilted forwards.

I know I need to pay it some proper respect but any ideas what could have caused this? Has the old fuel gummed up somewhere? The chain is running freely and chain oil is flowing well.

At first I assumes there was some old fuel but there was very little left and I filled it right up with fresh. Do I need to totally drain the saw and start with fresh fuel?

If it was running when you put it away and it isn't after storage, it is almost definitely the carb is gummed up and just needs a strip down, clean and rebuild and both the H&L screws set to 1 turn.

Worth checking the fuel line is OK and the fuel filter is clean.

The most likely fault is the internal gauze filter in the carb has dried up crud in it - found under the single screw cover.

• 3 months later...

Hi Spud, I changed the tank filter and cleaned the air filter to no avail. Still ran like a dog but now won't start at all. Maybe flooded. Could you tell me how I get to the carb filter? Do I need to take it out as the manual seems to suggest it's underneath?

Thanks.

Hi Spud, I changed the tank filter and cleaned the air filter to no avail. Still ran like a dog but now won't start at all. Maybe flooded. Could you tell me how I get to the carb filter? Do I need to take it out as the manual seems to suggest it's underneath?

Thanks.

You need to remove the air filter, the throttle linkage and kill wires, remove the location bolts and remove the carb.

Take off the carb top cover by removing the large single screw and it is a small round wire filter. Make sure there is no fine wood chip in there!

While you are at it, check the fuel filter in the fuel tank is OK and also check the little tube at th bottom of the manifold where the carb attaches is connected both ends - this is the impulse line.

If it still wont start or even pop after 10 pulls o full choke, pull the spark plug and make sure it is wet.

If you havent already, pull off the muffler and make sure the piston looks smooth looking and not scored!

Where are you? perhaps one of the techs on here is local.

Haven't got time to have a serious look over the weekend but just had a quick look this morning and noticed that the thumb primer is doing nothing. There is no fuel coming through to the clear hose on top of the carb when you pump it. I took the tank filter off and tried it with just the end of the pipe dunked in clean fuel and nothing is being pulled up. I can't see where the primer fits into the system at the mo but does that indicate anything? It was working OK before.

I might have to resort to a tech (south Devon) but I'm pretty familiar with working on 4 stoke motors so would like to get an understanding of how these things work.

Haven't got time to have a serious look over the weekend but just had a quick look this morning and noticed that the thumb primer is doing nothing. There is no fuel coming through to the clear hose on top of the carb when you pump it. I took the tank filter off and tried it with just the end of the pipe dunked in clean fuel and nothing is being pulled up. I can't see where the primer fits into the system at the mo but does that indicate anything? It was working OK before.

I might have to resort to a tech (south Devon) but I'm pretty familiar with working on 4 stoke motors so would like to get an understanding of how these things work.

Not sure if it is a 345 if it has a bulb primer as the one I had didn;t have one - you should hope it is a 346NE:thumbup:

If you are near Exeter, give Barrie (Gardenkit) a try, he is a decent honest tech with a good understanding of saws:thumbup: