Tree shade study from US.

cerneARB

Presumably thats due to less air condtioning being used.

I would assume thats a indirect effect, im not sure i have only read the documents abstract i would like to read the full report on the link from the website, but i cant get it.

Just good to read that planting the right trees in the right postion and distance from the home can benifit the householder. Gives me a good talking piont to pepole i meet at work who want trees felled by houses..." this could cut your fuel bill if you leave it mate".

Just good to read that planting the right trees in the right postion and distance from the home can benifit the householder. Gives me a good talking piont to pepole i meet at work who want trees felled by houses..." this could cut your fuel bill if you leave it mate".

Not sure thats true in the UK, how many people have air-con in their homes?

Removing the tree and letting the sun (if we get any) warm your house may mean you can turn down the heating.

Not sure thats true in the UK, how many people have air-con in their homes?

Removing the tree and letting the sun (if we get any) warm your house may mean you can turn down the heating.

I agree probably does cut the air condiotining use in warm climates like the Us.

Not sure if letting the sun on to your house warms it..surley if most homes are insulated with lagging in the walls heat cant get in anyway?

Any of our US cousins out there know anything about this?Do US homes have insulation in their homes?

Anything built in the last 50 years or so will have insulation in it. Sacramento is only about 90 miles from me and is quite hot in the summer. My house was built in 1906 and has no insulation in most of the walls. The west wall is partially exposed to the afternoon sun and those exposed portions of the inside wall are hot to the touch on a summer afternoon. You can squirt the wall with a water hose in the back yard and watch steam come off the wall. I have some crepe myrtles growing there but they have a few more years before they will cover everything. Our swimming pool is on the west side of the house so there isn't room for any large trees there.