tree report

jose

Does anybody have an idea what it costs for an independant company to do a tree report. Not trying to be difficult but roughly on a rolling day basis. I have been asked to do one on quite a few sites ( would take between 1-2wks) to do.

it is covering areas area west london ( stanwell slough maidenhead etc).

Also does anybody know any decent compaines that the can recommend?

Many thanks

Jose

A lot depends on the qual's and experience of the person doing the report, what the report is for, the number of trees, the depth of info' required... You get the idea. It can vary widely and I've seen anyhing thing from £50 to £250 for a day rate. I bet that's not much help to ya and hasn't given you a clearer idea, has it? :laugh1:

In these competative times you can find very capable people who can do tree surveys at a very reasonable price. It really is worth shopping around and having a look at people's previous work. Make sure that whoever you choose will give you what you want, many won't - whatever their quals, experience, accreditations or pricing structure.

A caution though, the idea of a day rate can be very misleading. Some surveyors will only get through about 50 trees a day, others will be closer to 250 or 300.

The type of survey also influences costs. Everyone's pricing structure is different, but if I was to spend two weeks doing a 5837 survey that would be charged differently to two weeks doing a safety survey, or mortgage type surveys. This is mainly because of the different liabilities involved - I charge more where I feel there is a higher risk of a claim being made against me.

Im not trying to deconstruct your method AC , but I am interested to know how many consultants ever really find themselves on the wrong end of legislation...As a climber, it is not realistic to expect increased payment with increased risk ( in general terms ) although I have always thought it should be reflected in remuneration.

I suppose I am asking how well the idea of cost can be related to the "quantified " associated risk as I am not sure there should be higher risks involved as afterall, the survey/report covers liability by its very nature in that it would presumably state that risk is significant. Otherwise you end up charging people for the perceived risk associated and as we all know...there seems precious little agreement, industry wide, on that thorny devil!

Bundle, that's a good question.

I choose to charge more for jobs which come with increased levels of liability as I perceive it. This means that get fewer of these jobs, therefore the average levels of liability (over time) are brought more into line with the greater proportion of lower risk of liability jobs I do.

I know of several consultants/surveyors who have had claims made against them. This rarely ends up in court, but it often includes insurance companies or bad publicity and can have implications for their future insurance cover or marketing.

If I was still climbing I would certainly charge more for jobs which I perceived as dangerous (unless I thought they might be fun). I would get fewer of them this way, but that's fine, I'm happy to let someone else get them.

And don't get me started on quantifying risks. There is so much nonesense in our industry on this subject that it's embarassing.

Jose, I just realised I didn't answer your question. If I ever did charge by the day (which is unlikely) I'd charge between £200 and £500 a day depending on the work. I understand this is fairly normal for well qualified surveyors/consultants.

Like I said before though, what would take me a day might take someone less experienced a week (or perhaps even more).

And like Lee says, think about how you are going to present your findings, and how long this will take.