Health And Safety

Ian150482

If you climb for a living, like most of us do, then you must have someone who is competant and qualified to have his 'tree climbing and aerial rescue' ticket. There are 3 of us in my team, and i am the only one who has all the relevant qualifications to climb and use the saw in a tree, but the lad's i have working for me only has there cs30/31.

I was told that if i am climbing with a groundsman who cant climb and the hse catch you, then they can and most proberbly take your equipment from you to make sure you dont climb again. Being only 3 months into starting off on my own i find this a bit worrying. Is this true? Any help would be appericated on this.

I think the owner of the company is at risk from a heavy fine but I've only read of one case where this has happened and it was for around £3,000. I've not heard of them taking kit away but you'd think that was pointless because they could just go out and get some more. There's been a thread somewhere on here to the case I'm referring to.

There's a lot of variation in opinions regarding aerial rescue but mine is from the view that there should be someone on the ground who is capable at least of climbing at speed. Though that is where the law lets us down because being qualified in aerial rescue does not necessarily mean a person is capable of performing a rescue, especially if that person does not climb regularly.

It again boils down to what the customer is willing to pay and whther or not you wish to compete with others that are not qualified.

If you price a job to take into account two fully qualified climbers and one groundy you will be expensive, in the domestic sector.

Commercial sector understand and have to comply so it's much easier to cover the cost of extra qulified staff.

If we had a level playing field things would be diffierent but that will never happen

If it your firm and your the climber you are OK, I asked the HSE at the last APF, you have a "duty of care" to employees, so if you have a climber working for you and no climbing groundie you will prosecuted.

When I do work for LA's I get in a subie climber as my rescue man,as its part of there HS policy.

I am in noway suggesting it is a good idea to climb without an areal rescue man.

I don't seem to recall much "rescuing",more a kind of lynching:wave:

At least I had the bottle to try something new:star:

Yeh, you might have got somewhere had the rope not been tied off at a 45 degree angle. :proud:

But there was no need for violence, kicking Bob like that, that was just pure nastynous. :fisheye:

Just a reminder below

59765343a5c8e_Gettogether034.jpg.8c90dc194845ec85f3d85ac31eb11f48.jpg

Cheers. That cleared it up alot, i can understand why you shouldnt climb without someone there able to rescue you, one of the lads i have with me can climb, he just hasnt got the paper to prove it. Probley just better idea to throw him in for a assesment, and have done with it.

Just, i got told that information the other day, and im in the middle of finishing a job. I S*** myself when i heard it. :scared:

Cheers. That cleared it up alot, i can understand why you shouldnt climb without someone there able to rescue you, one of the lads i have with me can climb, he just hasnt got the paper to prove it. Probley just better idea to throw him in for a assesment, and have done with it.

Just, i got told that information the other day, and im in the middle of finishing a job. I S*** myself when i heard it. :scared:

I had someone last year tell me that the HSE pulled up one day when he was doing a job and asked him why he wasn't using a MEWP.

He said that if a MEWP could be used, then it should be. When assessing a job the safest method of gaining access to the tree should be used.

I think, either it was a load of B'llocks or the HSE guy was sniffing coke at the time. :wave:

I had someone last year tell me that the HSE pulled up one day when he was doing a job and asked him why he wasn't using a MEWP.

He said that if a MEWP could be used, then it should be. When assessing a job the safest method of gaining access to the tree should be used.

I think, either it was a load of B'llocks or the HSE guy was sniffing coke at the time. :wave:

That HSE guys information, or his take on the regulations was not correct.

Have a look at the AA's view of how the regs should be interpreted with regards to Arb works.......specifically the paragraph on MEWPs......

The Work at Height Regulations do not impose a requirement to use MEWPs for all

arboricultural work, however they should always be considered when planning work.

http://www.trees.org.uk/downloads/WAH_08_05.pdf

This should keep Huck from abandoning his beloved proffession :wave: