Anyone been involved in planting for carbon offset schemes?

Woodworks

• 2 weeks later...

Often well-intentioned but irrelevant and ineffective IMO. The carbon-absorbing abilities of full-grown trees are projected onto mere saplings and even when they do get going, much of the carbon taken up by a deciduous tree will be shed with the annual leaf-fall. Also, where are the trees to be planted? One carbon-offset scheme (in Africa I think) had native forest cleared to make way for it. Even in the UK, think about how long it would take for the trees to absorb the CO2 emitted by the vehicles driven to the tree-planting.

You can understand charities like Woodland Trust wanting to get in on it, but remember that the late Oliver Rackham likened it to drinking more water to combat rising sea levels.

As for first-hand experience, I did look at one some time ago. I didn't find any evidence of corruption or fraud, just a lot of wishful thinking.

I had a conversation with a trader about this at a banking / investment gig back end of last year.

His view was that it's generally considered "fringe" and high risk because of the high potential for scams, the long lead from plant to maturity and the probability of global political / social / economic fluctuations during the gestation period.

I recall reading some carbon trading guff from FC or Confor or something similar - and they also warned of potential scams.

Do you know Chris Minty Beau?

He's got some sort of rainforest salvation gig going on in Belize. Loosely speaking, it's assisting local population to counter illegal logging and finding viable uses for embargoed forest hardwood seized after catching illegal loggers. E.G. There's a guitar maker in one of the workshops at Mt E using the wood.

He's based out of Mount Edgecombe so you could possibly combine a nice day out and catch up with him for a brew.

It's reasonably local, charitable status and seemingly well intentioned.

LinkedIn profile here:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-minty-mbe-20235819/

Or I could pass on his email / phone No. if you fancy?