Pruning fruit trees in a woodland setting.

I know the basics of fruit tree pruning but has anyone any thoughts on how to approach it in a woodland setting?.

Some of the pear trees especially have pretty much every branch pointing skywards which I suppose they are going to do when they haven't unlimited area around them to spread out to. So would you treat it more as a thinning exercise rather than training out and down?

Also hybrid berries. I have all three currants, black, red, and white, also tayberries but I'm always looking out for something else to try that could be of use. Have seen both Boysenberries and Japanese Wineberries mentioned in various books but does anyone have experience of any of these and what they're like to look after, or other suggestions? Bear in mind these will also be going in to a woodland setting and will be expected to thrive with minimum maintenance.

All suggestions on both welcomed and appreciated as always. :001_smile:

Just my thoughts but I don't think a fruit tree will develop in a woodland like it would in a purpose planted orchard purely because of the searching for the light aspect . It is bound to go strait up like a plantation tree rather than spread like an orchard tree .

With my fruit trees I aimed to get the tops above deer browsing height and then tried to prune the tops down a little so I can stand some chance of picking the fruit (still need a ladder). Most of mine are planted in a clearing so they aren't forced up too much. My main problem is the wildlife (jays and squirrels) eating all the young fruit so I've never had a crop.

I've got Wineberries, they do well and are spreading rapidly as the stems arch over and root. The fruit does escape the birds but I've not found it to be that tasty. Nice looking plants though.

I expect the deer will love them as they've stripped all unprotected rubus in my wood.

Just my thoughts but I don't think a fruit tree will develop in a woodland like it would in a purpose planted orchard purely because of the searching for the light aspect . It is bound to go strait up like a plantation tree rather than spread like an orchard tree .

That indeed is the issue chief, but with reference to the other post as well, that doesn't bother me as they'll need to go up and even they fruit higher up we'll still get to it OK.

But would you still thin, take off lower shoots, try to be a bit selective, or just leave them till it entirely? I have no concerns whatsoever about appearance or such like, just what's best for the health of the tree and I suppose ultimately what makes it most productive.

That's more what I'm getting at.

That indeed is the issue chief, but with reference to the other post as well, that doesn't bother me as they'll need to go up and even they fruit higher up we'll still get to it OK.

But would you still thin, take off lower shoots, try to be a bit selective, or just leave them till it entirely? I have no concerns whatsoever about appearance or such like, just what's best for the health of the tree and I suppose ultimately what makes it most productive.

That's more what I'm getting at.

Ok . Sorry . Its a bit of a " black art " and I am by no means an expert but fruit tree pruning that I have seen ( in orchards ) seems to be the removal of the heart of the tree ( I think to get air circulation ) leaving out side limbs to form a cup shape . In your situation , if you are sure you can reach the fruit , then just leave them ?

then just leave them ?

Aye, I'm starting to think that way.

I've plenty of young crab apple trees as well, might experiment a wee bit with one or two of them first, see how it goes.

But leave the pears for now!

Thanks. :001_smile:

• 2 months later...

very interested in this post as well , i am busy trying to grow chestnuts and hazels and tamarillos in PITTISPORUM UNDULATUM woodland in the AZORES. maybe also try apples and plums as they grow in our garden about a km away same elevation and temperature, so a n experiment

very interested in this post as well , i am busy trying to grow chestnuts and hazels and tamarillos in PITTISPORUM UNDULATUM woodland in the AZORES. maybe also try apples and plums as they grow in our garden about a km away same elevation and temperature, so a n experiment

We really enjoyed the Azores - which island are you on?

As for pruning, getting the chestnuts to grow away will need some space around them as they don't like being shaded when small. The hazel will be fine with some shade; no idea on tamarillos!

Alec