Valtra A or N series?

I'm buying a tractor for an estate with several hundred acres of young BL plantation. The machine will primarily be used for forwarding firewood thinnings with 6tonne forwarding trailer, plus some topping, maybe hedge cutting.

I'm torn between valtra 100hp A series new, or larger 120+hp N series 2nd hand.

Needs to be compact enough to operate in the woods, but a bit more weight and grunt might be useful, although there are other larger tractors on the estate.

Anyone have experience of either machine for this type of work?

cant comment on type of work but just had a demo A series 88hp valtra in,

lovely machine if you get some extras like the electronic loader controls if going for a loader. Air seat (heated as standard),

get the rear wheel weights and wow it feels nailed to ground.

Lovely tractor

N series because of the swivel seat. A series are stockman tractors with annoyingly small cabs. Personally I think the A series are cheaply built and therefore can get quite expensive after 2,000 hours in repairs etc. If you could find a 100 to 120 hp 100 series or 50 series with low is hours this would be a far wiser buy than an A series. Of course you will have to guard the tank etc on a newer N series. Buy the best you can afford with as low hours as possible, cheap tractors = expensive repair bills.From my experience steer clear of the A series, you buy one you will regret it. We have an old 6400 ,great wood tractor with an integral metal fuel tank ,swivel seat (good for forwarding ) 100 hp 4 cylinder so short bonnet and quite manoverable.My friend has a N 121 (guarded up) and he is very pleased with it. Good luck nick.

I went to look at an A95 last week. Very little space for your legs when the seat is spun around and I imagine some modification to the back window would be required to accommodate the crane controls. Really nice simple little tractor but came away thinking the 6000 series (or N series) is the sensible choice..

Thanks for the input. Its the simplicity of the A that appeals, manual stick gears, less electronics etc, but i sat in one and its pretty snug. If I can find a really tidy low hours N series I think that will suit, not many around though, I have to consider the cost of guarding in my budget too. I too have used a 6400 in the woods, great machine, very capable.

• Like 1

As some may know i'm a bit of a Valtra/Valmet enthusiast. So any questions just ask.

Ran a A95 with a Botex 10 tonne forwarding trailer and a A93 with a front end loader and winch on it. Driven an N series and the T with a roof mount and big forwarder. but no where near as much as the A. Used the 6000 and 8000 series as well, I'm quite partial to the 8000 series but wish for the turning circle of a 6000.

The A series are solid little 100hp tractors simple and effective. I think the biggest is just over 100hp. I use to have a 12" 1.5tonne chipper on the back of one and it ran fine. They work very well in the woods as they're small and nimble got some photos i can put up if you want to see. It did struggle to do road work with a full up 10t forwarding trailer on it. 6 or 8 it would work like a dream. As a skidder it worked a treat and as a general loader tractor as well.

Downsides is that the cab is a very tiny box and very bland although the radio and air con is very good. The seat spins around to the back but as its not a flat floor tractor the room working in reverse is limited.

As said do get rear wheel weights i had 160kg on each if memory serves. Get the assister ram for the linkage or the pickup weight isn't great. Do get the forest roof. Get in an A series and think if you use the thing with the twin trac set up in. If your a big guy like me then it would be a no go but if you will fit worth its weight in gold. If you find a valtra with twin trac on it's expensive as it's that useful. Upgrade the pump to the hiflow one as well and get the forest tank.

Just a note on side arms on a A series they're top link sensing and this can be problematic when attaching them Sometimes you need (or you really should have) an extra little plate to take the load off the draft sensor otherwise the thing judders up and down all the time. Due to the small boxy step cab the view isn't great, especially for verges hedges it's not so bad.

N series is bigger range of transmissions which offers load sensing pumps and somewhere just sub 200l/m of hydraulic if memory serves. Cab is a lovely place to be view all round is amazing. As you'll be going second hand it's the best of what you can find. Once your on N series they're lower link sensing and come Cat 3/2 linkage with quick fit hooks, so if you have old narrow implements they don't fit, but no issues with hedge cutters. I'm currently looking at a N134 Active for farm work. Oh what a lovely beast it is.

Down side is that they have a massive turning circle. Don't know why the 6400 were much more maneuverable by a mile. Make sure you guard the fuel tank they were made bigger for the UK market so when you punture it (and you will) more diesel to spill out and pay to have cleaned up.

If you want a general tractor then get a used N series a 123 or similar 120ish tractor will do every you need. If you want a very specific tractor then a new A series with the options you want on it may b the better route. You could always have put a JAKE frame and put the crane from your forwader on the tractor which means you can do a bit more with it.