Pruning Ash... A Code of Conduct?

Andy Collins

Well, with this latest health care issue for the Ash, the upsurge of this airborne fungal attack, is it prudent to only carry out emergency and essential works on ash trees, especially in the East Anglian region. Surely new open cuts will allow the fungal spores an entry point that will lead to the early demise of the trees?

As industry professionals, should we have a code of conduct on this, a responsibility to do our part in reducing the risk of spreading the disease.

There is much talk of the importation ban now, but what of movement of infected arisings? Moving timber and wood chip around the countryside will surely disperse spores more readily, indeed, blasting infected timber through a chipper could be deemed irresponsible, burning at source of potentially infected matter being a cleaner option.

Should we take a lead on this, given the slow movements of the FC and the government?

I dont think pruning cuts will prove any more of a risk than is already present as it can become infect leaf material. I would suggest if your encountering anything that looks remotely iffy burning on site would be preferable (unless you think its Chalara in which case contact FC or FERA). I certainly wouldnt consider chipping deadwood etc at this time unless your 100% confident that its not diseased. I dont think FC can be accused of slow response on this as everyone I know in FC is currently working on this as their main priority. Yes more preventative measures could have been put in place possibly but this is more the remit of FERA and DEFRA than FC.

As I mentioned on the other thead there is plenty of info about the disease on here Homepage

I would suggest that as a precautionary measure using the same disinfectants as for P ramorum for giving kit a good clean down before and after working on ash trees. The chemical is Propeller from Evans Chemical Supplies - 01209 213643,

Only report it we think it's infected? Might be a little late in that case surely. Surely a blanket policy across the board, prevention better than cure and all that?

My impression was that Europe have known of this problem for quite some time, yet only now has action been taken. Given we're an island, this could have been acted on far sooner. E plant passport scheme has hardly done it's job for instance, and less scrupulous people still sell trees, including ash, without a plant passport anyway. Foe example, I went a local plant sale Saturday, plenty of imported Ash trees for sale there, even though they knew of the impending ban, they were shifting stock quickly before the ban was in place. The potential for further speeding of the fungi is already there. How do we know that ash already felled is not infected, and transported around the countryside as firewood? What action is being taken, or is it not necessary?

When I say report it if you think its infected I dont mean ring FC/FERA every time you see an ash tree but if you come across one of the symptoms in the excelent FERA video then definatly involve them. All of the FC area officer staff and FERA field staff are out doing surveys of all ash woods and areas where ash is a dominant species.

The disease has been present since 1992 in europe, but as mentioned elsewhere its not 100% fatality as DED was, this leaves you with a reserve of resistant trees.

but how would any blanket policy be enforced? you cant stop people working on ash, it comprises about 30% of our hardwood woodland component so its virtually impossible to bring in felling restrictions at that shorter notice.

I agree imported trees should have been stopped with immediate effect especially as know the guidance seems to be not to plant any this winter in woodland creation schemes.

There is no way that felled timber already on the deck can be monitored interms of movements, and the only way to deliver this is to restrict felling of ash through felling licenses the same way Larch have been and zone the risk accordinly, no felling licenses until the trees can be checked in leaf etc.

The downside to this there are sites where people will be felling without licenses, FC have no remit over garden trees and local authority tree officers have enough on their plates without having to attend everytime someone wants to work on ash tree especially if its not TPO.

Im being awkward just for the sake of debate, not that i disagree with you :thumbup:

The results suggest that a small fraction of trees in the Danish population of ash possess substantial resistance against the damage. Though this fraction is probably too low to avoid population collapse in most natural or managed ash forests, the observed presence of putative resistance against the emerging infectious disease in natural stands is likely to be of evolutionary importance. This provides prospects of future maintenance of the species through natural or artificial selection in favour of remaining healthy individuals.

Presence of natural genetic resistance in Fraxinus excelsior (Oleraceae) to Chalara fraxinea (Ascomycota): an emerging infectious disease.

L V McKinney, L R Nielsen, J K Hansen, E D Kjær 2011

whilst im aware this isnt fantastic news it does mean there is long term a glimer of hope, and we dont know how many of the uk trees have this genetic resistance

Edited by Charlieh

This is my whole point Charlie, should we as industry professionals take the lead on this, a voluntary code of conduct. Of course, no one can police this, but if at least the majority of professionals cooperate, it may curb the spread as far as we' re concerned. This could give ash a chance, not a big one, but just maybe.....

Is there any harm to be done by trying?

No but from what I've seen within the industries in relation to P ramorum the effort has been pitiful. I have had been out on sites with people looking to quote for works and they dont have any disinfection equipment at all.

I for one would welcome anything that helps prevent plant health problems spreading if a voluntary scheme could be drawn up then this would be great. I think the best thing people could do is read the pdf from forestry commission and watch that FERA video until they are confidant they know what they are looking for, watch it time and time again. Or try and get someone from FERA/FC to do awareness events in each region although to an extent this already happens but you have to be on mailing lists for organisation such as RFS (not nessicarily membership), ICF, AA, or projects such as Woodfuel East, Heartwoods, Cumbria Woodlands, Yorwoods etc etc as these organisations will be running events.

If Arbtalk wanted a guide for best practise I can contact one of the guys at FR to get a brief outline as a starting point?

I think this is important if it is possible to at least slow down the spread, or at least try. With what is the largest British forum dedicated to tree work, with instant access to 15,000 ish members, I find it hard to believe that they dont automatically send out the info to all forums. Are they so backward in technology? Yes I feel they have shut the stable door after the proverbial horse has done a runner, now they need to take effective proactive action in raising awareness fully, not just a 5second slot on local radio either.

If indeed we have a duty of care as self proclaimed professionals, then surely we are the best to a) spread the word, raising awareness, b) take preventative measures to curb it's spread.

How many emails have I received to date as a professional and a member of an associated trade representative on this matter.....None.

Why have the AA, ISA, FC, FCA, RFS and every other concern not emailed each and every member? Because IMO they sat on their hands waiting for someone else to do something...eventually.

Well, with this latest health care issue for the Ash, the upsurge of this airborne fungal attack, is it prudent to only carry out emergency and essential works on ash trees, especially in the East Anglian region. Surely new open cuts will allow the fungal spores an entry point that will lead to the early demise of the trees?

As industry professionals, should we have a code of conduct on this, a responsibility to do our part in reducing the risk of spreading the disease.

There is much talk of the importation ban now, but what of movement of infected arisings? Moving timber and wood chip around the countryside will surely disperse spores more readily, indeed, blasting infected timber through a chipper could be deemed irresponsible, burning at source of potentially infected matter being a cleaner option.

Should we take a lead on this, given the slow movements of the FC and the government?

Hi Andy, hope you're well.

Whilst, in principle, I whole heartedly agree that an industry Code of Conduct/Practice would be very useful, in practice there is very little infomration around to inform this process (said after having scoured various FC / FERA / other websites for the past two hours).

Hence I think we are currently in the realms of:

1. Familiarise yourslef with the symptoms

2. Be vigililant when out n about

3. Report any infecetd Ash trees to FC / FERA

4. DO not remove infected material from sites, containment.

6. Disinfect tools, equipment and vehicles (FC recommend 'Propellar', for Phtophthoras too.)

Also familiarising yourself with the FC Biosecuirty Recommendations, see below, would be useful (PLEASE don;t be put off/discouraged by the title, it's useful and easy to understand...coz I did :001_smile:)

Thanks..

Paul

FC_Biosecurity_Guidance.pdf

Hi Andy, hope you're well.

Hence I think we are currently in the realms of:

1. Familiarise yourslef with the symptoms

2. Be vigililant when out n about

3. Report any infecetd Ash trees to FC / FERA

4. DO not remove infected material from sites, containment.

6. Disinfect tools, equipment and vehicles (FC recommend 'Propellar', for Phtophthoras too.)

Did the proposals in

Forestry Commission - Q & A - Chalara legislation

get enacted?

If so then it looks like arising from ash felling other than stem wood will not be able to take off site

I have spoken with FC plant health and they cannot answer this question at the moment.