SRT ideas with the hitchclimber pulley

Timmy

Just wondering if anyone has thought of fitting a cam which wedges between the pulley and the plate. It would connect to the pulley through the bottom karabiner hole.

In theory if it were lightly sprung it would lock whenever the system is weighted. The idea is along the lines of the rope wrench as a means of increasing friction in the system, but not to replace the hitch. This would retain the control and feel of a hitch but eliminate something above you which can be a pain.

What are peoples thoughts? Im planning to see if i can make something myself but i imagine shaping the cam to get the right amount of friction will be tricky

why would you need a hand to hold the cam open? The idea of the cam is not to lock off the rope, merely to increase friction. When ascending the cam will open. When descending it will close but still allow movement through the pulley.

ive also been thinking about the possibility of using a rope grab to work the same as the rope wrench but be less bulky. The cam on the rope grab would either have to be restricted so it couldnt fully clamp on the rope (still allowing movement) or the cam being shaped so it just proves added friction rather than locking off

the rope wrench works fine but i dont believe that the design cant be improved upon. I'm not keen on its positioning. It's just another thing to get in the way and its really close to your face. Surveyor has some nice ideas especially the pulley/rack but that isnt midline attachable.

SRT systems for treework are relatively new and there seem to be a way to go before there is a system which fills most peoples criteria (mid-line attachable/cost effective/durable/easy to use)

If you want to see something lightly sprung, that is mid line attachable, that works as fall arrest and work positioning and can be used to ascend on, and could work in conjunction with a hitch, then have a look at SAR or ISC Rope Rockers.......