Husq 181 project

Chris Sheppard

Was recently given an elderly (think it's only two years younger than me!) Husky 181 non runner by a fellow Arbtalker (thanks Pete :thumbup1:) as a bit of a project.

It doesn't look to have been abused and other than a feelign a bit low on compression didn't seem to be a bad saw.

Anyhow, finally got ahlf an hour this aft to get a proper look at it and whipped the ehaust off. Bit of scoring on one side and the rings looked quite blue, but then spotted something on top of the piston which seemed to be fairly well embedded.

Whipped pot off and think I might have worked out why it wouldn't run :lol:

Bet it went with a bang when it stopped :laugh1:

If it wasn't for the rings being present I'd have said it had dropped a ring so I'm not entirely sure what it may be embedded in the top of the piston and pot but it's made a bit of a mess.

Also, theres a notchy bit on the bearings at TDC.

Have noticed on ebay one guy listing piston and pot to suit 281 and 288, taking it up to 288 bore, so hoping that could be one option - anyone happen to know if it's doable? Carb kits seem to be the same for 181,281 and 288 too so hoping so.

59765e3a06936_woods158.jpg.b2d0cc2cfb9ba9c76059a3aed3c828fd.jpg

59765e3a03e73_woods154.jpg.b6465998ead0fcd51d8fb81ff2daed0c.jpg

59765e3a0120f_woods149.jpg.a7d522360a51883a5073d6d9371f3d75.jpg

59765e39f21e1_woods146.jpg.f2b9c4b3d0c325be4f8676c4c320b55e.jpg

bet its the side off the crank bearings looks very similar to when my 084 went, with the little bits of metal stuck on the piston like that

Still not got round to having a look yet - did you manage to re use the crank or was it fubared?

hmmmn. messy.

chris, i'm thinking you did demo for me at the APF on a balfor saw, and a quote later. when i phoned back to order one you'd left? anyway, i bought it. it's a pretty good saw for what we need. cheers.

Chances are it was me - the scruffy one in a pair of manky saw kegs :biggrin:

Glad it's working well for you :thumbup1:

Only just seen this Chris!

She sure looks like it went all at once, doesnt seem to have got too hot but there's been some big chunks floating around in there!!

Hope you get it sorted, will be nice to read future progress on it provided you think its worth doing and not too much of a basket case.

The beers went down well by the way, cheers mate:beerchug:

Only just seen this Chris!

She sure looks like it went all at once, doesnt seem to have got too hot but there's been some big chunks floating around in there!!

Hope you get it sorted, will be nice to read future progress on it provided you think its worth doing and not too much of a basket case.

The beers went down well by the way, cheers mate:beerchug:

No prob - least I could do :thumbup1:

I'll see if I get 5 min at the weekend to get a bit further with getting it in bits to see what's what and take it from there - reckon it'll have to be pretty bad to be beyond worth doing as bits seem really cheap on ebay :thumbup1:

• 5 months later...

Drawn a bit of a blank - both bearings seem complete with nothing missing and the big end seems sound. Haven't taken anything apart on the inlet side of the cylinder yet so maybe something let go from inside the carb?

Anyhow, just managed to save a fair bit as managed to source crank bearings without going through Husq as the originals have the SKF part no on the side still :thumbup: £3.81 each inc delivery compared to £15 each from Husky :thumbdown: