MS461 dilemma

Starscream

Hi,

I have a 461 that gets used only every now and then.. So needed it yesterday and hadn't used it for about 2 months. I usually use motomix but had, on this occasion, left 2 stroke in it. Ditched the old and put in some fresh 2 stroke. Fired it up, cut through a log, happy days still sharp. Climbed back up the tree, started on my sink cut and it just died.. We couldn't get it restarted properly. It grumbles into life then dies. I've stripped it, cleaned the carb (didn't need it), air filter, contacts on ignition coil, spark plug, fuel filter, fuel pipe.. I'm out of ideas, the only thing left is to try a brand new spark plug.. Any other ideas? Thanks

Probably fuel related but worth checking compression as well.

Check the gauze filter is clear.

Thanks for the reply. Fuel related how? Because I left old in it? Compression seems solid; without the decomp it's a nightmare to try and pull over! How do I check compression though?

Is the gauze filter in the carb?

The gauze strainer is in the top of the carb, sometimes it fills with fine woodchip and fuel/oil can dry in it and form a scum that blocks it.

Sounds like the carb needs a strip, check and going over. Sometimes it needs just this, you find nothing but it sparks it in to working!

The gauze strainer is in the top of the carb, sometimes it fills with fine woodchip and fuel/oil can dry in it and form a scum that blocks it.

Sounds like the carb needs a strip, check and going over. Sometimes it needs just this, you find nothing but it sparks it in to working!

Ok, cheers, I'll give it a more thorough strip and blast with the carb cleaner!