Help With Stihl MS661

adamelder

I've got an MS661 about 9 months old from new. I'm finding that unless I give it a full blooded pull to start, it'll act like it's flooded - let sit for 20 mins or so and it's fine.

Of course, it's easy to say, "Always give it a proper pull" but on the odd occasion I don't, the problem occurs.

Any thoughts? Just take it back to the dealer on warranty?

Not had a MS661 in yet but some saws do need a good tug to get the ignition to spark.

The autotune 261 with autotune has a start setting that you pull it over on full choke and it will run due to the relief in the choke plate and you grab the throttle to get it back to idle. If you flick it down as you would a conventional 261, it will pull your arm off with the autotune module kicking in excessive ignition advance on starting.

Some saws don't like the use of the decomp valve, I don't know if a 661 can be pulled over without it, depends on compression and ignition advance. If saws have a tendency to flood on cold start, I tend to pull them over hard with no decomp and do use a drop start :blushing:, hot starts are generally a lot easier.

Not had a MS661 in yet but some saws do need a good tug to get the ignition to spark.

The autotune 261 with autotune has a start setting that you pull it over on full choke and it will run due to the relief in the choke plate and you grab the throttle to get it back to idle. If you flick it down as you would a conventional 261, it will pull your arm off with the autotune module kicking in excessive ignition advance on starting.

Some saws don't like the use of the decomp valve, I don't know if a 661 can be pulled over without it, depends on compression and ignition advance. If saws have a tendency to flood on cold start, I tend to pull them over hard with no decomp and do use a drop start :blushing:, hot starts are generally a lot easier.

Cheers Spud, it's a fantastic saw. I don't really think there's anything wrong with it, more just getting to know it properly. Aye, it pulls fine without decomp, as long as you're not shy. Like you say it'll take your fingers off if you're not giving it the full blooded yank.

Drop starting is my preferred method but it's tricky with the 50 inch bar on the mill!

So I'll take the advice and just remember to pull hard !

I have seen this on a few saws, 365s and 395s especially but Husqvarna do have a number of decomp valves with varying size exit holes and it is possible to fit one with a smaller hole but don't think Stihl do the same as I have only ever seen to ones with very small holes.

The usual trick is a manly pull on the handle but don't do more then 5-6 on full choke otherwise it will flood.