Stain in the Neck

Klaymeb

Was just carving some shrooms out of pine and noticed this blue stuff - looked it up on the net and it seems to be Blue Stain? As far as I could find out it isn't a decaying fungus itself but it eats away the wood's naturally protective resin and allows decaying fungus in (feel free to correct me if it's wrong, I don't know much about fungus).

I don't want to sell people carvings that are about to disintegrate but I wondered if it would stay the same or worsen once sanded and covered in a couple of coats of preservative?

Cheers :001_smile:

Blue.jpg.d94accd8a706d6b771c41ac7ef94a6f1.jpg

either way it dont sound good.

cheaper carvings like shrooms dont last too long anyway, but im not sure some1 would like a blue mark on it anyway?

Yeah the idea was if it doesn't get any worse I would coat it with preservative and see if it covered up the blueness, but if it is likely to affect the structural integrity of the wood I'll chuck it :001_smile:

Just need to know really as I've got a show to sell some at tomorrow

• 4 weeks later...

I get that all the time carving Ponderosa Pine. Some people have told me it's from the Pine Beetle but I don't think so as it's in most of the wood I carve.

Just exactly what IS the best way to preserve a carving that's being displayed outdoors? I sold a bear to some friends and went by their house and within a month it had cracked badly even with a kerf cut. Right now I'm just using Spar poly coat. Minwax.

So I carved them a new bigger bear with a piece of purchased log and coated it four times. So it cost me $60 to replace a bear that I got $50 for but at least I can sleep at night. I won't put the effort into carving any more crappy wood. It's not worth it.