cost for big cherry

farmerjohn

Hi All,

i have the same old question........

a friend has offered me some big sections of cherry, please see photos attached.

I am after some advice on a fair price to pay for the cherry, i dont want to under pay for the timber, but at the same time i do not want to pay over the odds.

the 2 pictures of the single log taken from each end is the biggest stick, the main stem and measures 80" around the mid point and is 15 foot long.

the 2 photos of the 3 small lumps are from branches, they measure as follows:

47" mid point circumference X 10' long

42" mid point circumference X 10' long

30" mid point circumference X 7' long

thanks in advance, John

20140524_121409.jpg.4221e7248f578578b917a40696f1f57e.jpg

20140524_121352.jpg.1aa44bc8eb73573f95be8f749f6e5270.jpg

20140524_121241.jpg.b6618510ee24185809e74794c63e49a7.jpg

20140524_121225.jpg.5916cd123268960d062c1138dfc43d0c.jpg

£2-4 a hoppus foot, depending on how generous you are feeling. It's not the best quality, but the size is good. Individual volumes:

41.7HF

9.6HF

7.7HF

2.7HF - total 61.7HF

So a total of £120-240.

I would reckon that the fluting and the rot streak in the lower length would write off half of it. The other lengths - small one on the left and big one on the right have significant bends so I would measure to those (I would guess it's about 2/3 of the total) as the rest will be waste, or sold for chopping boards. Middle one has a significant step down in size 1/3 of the way up but using a true Hoppus measure would be slightly to your favour.

With that in mind, I would calculate the good stuff as being around 43HF, at £4/HF so £130. If I had an immediate outlet for 10' long boards, or wide boards, I would go a bit higher but be aware you may get significant losses due to locked in stresses in the branches.

Alec

Because of the spiral grain, buy the time the planks are dry, it will only be good for shorts, metre lengths at best, probably less. {will also split, due to combined fluting & spiral grain.}

Probably best as bowl blanks or firewood.

spiral

indeed got a few of those here, not worth much over firewood, you'll do well to get over 1mtr lengths with that spiral.

Well I did say a meter at best! Guess I was being kind!:biggrin:

But yes what you say is true, Id guess 1 ft lengths is probably nearer the mark.

Fits on the grate well at that length as well....

spiral