Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Arb-Trucks Discuss Arb-trucks, 4x4's, timber lorries etc


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-12   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Billy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,026

So for tree work we're alright, which is lucky as I just bought a landy and a ifor Williams tipper as it waste cheapest way I saw of moving more weight! Is it still the case that you only need a taco more than 30 miles from base?
Billy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 674
Re: arb vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgilltreesurgery View Post
As of 4th December 2011 EC Regulation 1071/2009 comes into force, which requires all vehicle/trailer combinations with a combined GVW (towing vehicle GVW + trailer GVW) of over 3500kg used for hire or reward to hold an operators licence. There is still an exemption for operators of vehicles that only carry their own goods in connection with their trade or business.

As now, a tachograph is required for all vehicle/trailers combinations for business use (except a few very specific exemptions).

In summary, if you operate a vehicle/trailer combination with a combined GVW over 3500kg from 4th December you will need:

Private use - Nothing
Business carrying own goods only - Tachograph
Business carrying other people's goods - Tachograph and operators licence

The punishment for operating without an operators licence or tachograph is a 5000 fine and a prohibition order at the roadside with the vehicle and trailer impounded.
I don't think you need a tacho if your maximum permissable mass is less than 7.5 tonnes, you only carry your own equipment relavant to your trade and you operate within 50km of base. Depending on how it's registered/how heavy it is you will probably need a tacho in your mog, but you don't in your Canter if you stay within 50km of base (even when towing your 3.5 tonne trailer). Everyone keeps banging on about 3.5 tonne vehicles being useless for tree work - if you run them as you are with a big trailer there isn't much you can't take on day to day whilst staying legal and avoiding all the red tape that goes with the running of bigger trucks (providing your work is within 50 km of your base).
monkeybusiness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
 
treequip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Republic of Saddleworth
Posts: 6,798
Re: arb vehicle?

The powers that be and thus the public at large keep referring to tachograph regulations when what they mean is drivers hours rules. The tachograph regs simply govern the instrument and it's operation.

The drivers hours rules don't say you need a tachograph, you must however record your activity on those days when it is mandatory so if you have a vehicle without a tachograph and you fall,under drivers hours regs for the odd day simply use a manual record. You can buy a manual record book in many places, here is one on the bay

Staying legal for under six quid

Drivers Daily Record Book 26 Duplicate Pages Tachograph | eBay
__________________
Freelance climber, tracked chipper hire.
Saddleworth, Paris and Rome, but mostly Saddleworth
treequip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Old Mill Tree Care's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Horley, Surrey.
Posts: 4,709
Re: arb vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybusiness View Post
I don't think you need a tacho if your maximum permissable mass is less than 7.5 tonnes, you only carry your own equipment relavant to your trade and you operate within 50km of base. Depending on how it's registered/how heavy it is you will probably need a tacho in your mog, but you don't in your Canter if you stay within 50km of base (even when towing your 3.5 tonne trailer). Everyone keeps banging on about 3.5 tonne vehicles being useless for tree work - if you run them as you are with a big trailer there isn't much you can't take on day to day whilst staying legal and avoiding all the red tape that goes with the running of bigger trucks (providing your work is within 50 km of your base).
I see what you're getting at but you're a bit wide of the mark. A 3.5t van and 3.5t trailer will carry a lot of brush but we will have it loaded by 10:30 every day!
The only way you will achieve what you are alluding to is if you tow a chipper behind the trailer behind the Transit then chip into both and I'm sure the Police and VOSA would be concerned.
Although I'd love to see you reverse it up Mrs Miggins driveway.

Alternatively, two 3.5t vans, trailer and chipper. Or Unimog.
Old Mill Tree Care is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 674
Re: arb vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmilltrees View Post
I see what you're getting at but you're a bit wide of the mark. A 3.5t van and 3.5t trailer will carry a lot of brush but we will have it loaded by 10:30 every day!
The only way you will achieve what you are alluding to is if you tow a chipper behind the trailer behind the Transit then chip into both and I'm sure the Police and VOSA would be concerned.
Although I'd love to see you reverse it up Mrs Miggins driveway.

Alternatively, two 3.5t vans, trailer and chipper. Or Unimog.
Sorry, that's what I'm getting at - take 2 vehicles with a chipper behind one and trailer behind the other when the job is going to produce a lot of arisings. You'll carry more away than most other set ups, but without the essential paperwork exercise required elsewhere.
monkeybusiness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Old Mill Tree Care's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Horley, Surrey.
Posts: 4,709
Re: arb vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybusiness View Post
Sorry, that's what I'm getting at - take 2 vehicles with a chipper behind one and trailer behind the other when the job is going to produce a lot of arisings. You'll carry more away than most other set ups, but without the essential paperwork exercise required elsewhere.
Cool, that's what I thought. I'm actually selling my Unimog and PTO chipper as its no longer used to capacity often enough and I'm replacing with two 3.5t vans and a 9" tow along chipper. I have a 3.5t trailer.
Breaks my heart to sell the Mog but needs must.......
Old Mill Tree Care is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 674
Re: arb vehicle?

Think of the profit - you can always get another mog if you decide it will make you money in the future. It is only a tool - if it isn't earning its keep then get it gone! I'd love a mog and have tried to justify one many times but I can't personally see how it would make me money over and above what my current set up does.
monkeybusiness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Old Mill Tree Care's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Horley, Surrey.
Posts: 4,709
Re: arb vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybusiness View Post
Think of the profit - you can always get another mog if you decide it will make you money in the future. It is only a tool - if it isn't earning its keep then get it gone! I'd love a mog and have tried to justify one many times but I can't personally see how it would make me money over and above what my current set up does.
Yes mate, that's exactly how I'm thinking. I won't be spending a lot on one of the trucks with the intention that in a few/several years when it dies (and maybe the economy will improve) i'll be replacing it with a Unimog or 7.5t or bigger.
Old Mill Tree Care is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010, 2011
 
Tree cutter Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The suburban sprawl of London
Posts: 1,638
Re: arb vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmilltrees View Post
Cool, that's what I thought. I'm actually selling my Unimog and PTO chipper as its no longer used to capacity often enough and I'm replacing with two 3.5t vans and a 9" tow along chipper. I have a 3.5t trailer.
Breaks my heart to sell the Mog but needs must.......
What 9 inch chipper are you going to buy.
__________________
honest work, just reward, that's the way to please the Lord.....
Tree cutter Stu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-12   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013
 
WoodED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: aylesbury, buckinghamshire
Posts: 2,834
Re: arb vehicle?

i want one of these 2003 LAND ROVER DEFENDER 110 TD5 EX UTILITY | eBay
__________________
www.theparkstrust.com/
WoodED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New vehicle CTS Arb-Trucks 8 23-01-12 07:33 AM
Best vehicle to get???? samtheman365 Arb-Trucks 90 08-02-10 03:09 PM
What was your first vehicle? Parker General chat 42 24-01-09 04:17 PM
what vehicle ? rossj General chat 31 06-04-08 10:51 PM


Find tree care advice

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0