Networking at the Park by the Port 'which' is Green

David Humphries

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me more about that theory David?

MonkeyD, the horsey lot aren't all that impressed that it will be held there either- it's a pity they chose that location.

I can see why they have chosen the site, as the view from the park down toward the river, will be one of, if not the iconic image of the London Olympics.

Just like to think that if it is chosen as that events venue, that due respect is afforded to the trees & the impact of compaction will be minimised as much as is practicable.

Get the feeling that ATF are still anti the usage, but personally believe that this is a fantastic oportunity to have a world platform for the issue surrounding Access & Veteran Trees.

Just needs the focus to drive the message home.

that fungus looks to me to have emerged been attacked by slugs, then dessicated

Chicken if I had to pin a label

There is some sign of it having been grazed, but not sure it became dessicated.

I've not seen Laetiporus on cedar/coniferous, ( have you? ) although it obviously does host on Yew.

Most references only state it on Broadleaves, one or two stating it's rarity on Coniferous trees.

Having seen it, I'm confident it's not Laetip though, although not sure I'm totaly on board with Teds Bjerkandera either.

DL came up with something, although I can't remember what he said, I'll confer and get back.

DSC01462.JPG.89356b385d3afc1c1baf25f917981a6a.JPG

DSC01451.JPG.5d4683d64da8e07dd0a528295d1dfec9.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D

The fungus in the image, it most certainly is not the smokey bracket, its form is that of a multiple shelfed large fungus, i,e phaeolus (stem form) laetiporus, merripilus all these form a shape that starts off like your clump.

true there are no yellow stains to it, but the image enclosed may help, it is an aging very dessicated clump of chicken that will fade more, especialy with rain as it will allow break down of the fuit body.

I have racked my brains to try and think of an alternative fungus that this form could be, but there are so many elements that make sense of the chicken theory. for a start you have many old sativas in the locale, these are a tough old tree to break down, and only two i know of can break these up chicken and fistulina. It would not be unreasonable to make the asumption that a spore of chicken made it to a cedar from the sativas. in america chicken is common amoung the cedars as far as i can find tell, and if it can break up Taxus it can certainly do cedar

i had a feeling that chicken had gene variations as Ive seen some very odd samples from abroad, from bright pink to ochre orange, those you see from spain also have a different look to them, maybe the warmer climes?

You made me go do a lot of searching monkey! and its cool, i found a lot of usefull stuff and heres a few extracts,

"This is believed to be due to a number of factors that range from very bad allergies to the mushroom's protein, to toxins absorbed by the mushroom from the wood it grows on (for example, Eucalyptus or Cedar), to simply eating specimens that have decayed past their prime."

Phylogenetics

Phylogenetic analyses of ITS, nuclear large subunit and mitochondrial small subunit rDNA sequences from a variety of North American species has delineated five distinct clades within the core Laetiporus clade[1]:

Conifericola clade: contains species that live on conifers, such as L. conifericola and L. huroniensis. All of the other tested species grow on angiosperms.

Cincinnatus clade: contains L. cincinnatus

Sulphureus clade I: contains white-pored L. sulfureus isolates.

Sulphureus clade II: contains yellow-pored L. sulfureus isolates.

Gilbertsonii clade: contains L. gilbertsonii and unidentified Caribbean isolates

597655267e34c_massivefistulina510.jpg.79e1654e71f95c9d96290d03f112a85b.jpg

and I agree, that is a good oportunity to promote Veteran/ancient tree issues on a global scale.

I can see why they have chosen the site, as the view from the park down toward the river, will be one of, if not the iconic image of the London Olympics.

Just like to think that if it is chosen as that events venue, that due respect is afforded to the trees & the impact of compaction will be minimised as much as is practicable.

Get the feeling that ATF are still anti the usage, but personally believe that this is a fantastic oportunity to have a world platform for the issue surrounding Access & Veteran Trees.

Just needs the focus to drive the message home.

Yes it will be a nice site visually, it's a shame that it is somewhere that it will be taken straight down afterwards though, as another site for events would be good- or even improvements to an existing venue.

The fungus in the image, it most certainly is not the smokey bracket, its form is that of a multiple shelfed large fungus, i,e phaeolus (stem form) laetiporus, merripilus all these form a shape that starts off like your clump.

true there are no yellow stains to it, but the image enclosed may help, it is an aging very dessicated clump of chicken that will fade more, especialy with rain as it will allow break down of the fuit body.

I have racked my brains to try and think of an alternative fungus that this form could be, but there are so many elements that make sense of the chicken theory. for a start you have many old sativas in the locale, these are a tough old tree to break down, and only two i know of can break these up chicken and fistulina. It would not be unreasonable to make the asumption that a spore of chicken made it to a cedar from the sativas. in america chicken is common amoung the cedars as far as i can find tell, and if it can break up Taxus it can certainly do cedar

i had a feeling that chicken had gene variations as Ive seen some very odd samples from abroad, from bright pink to ochre orange, those you see from spain also have a different look to them, maybe the warmer climes?

Tony, I think you have a really good point on the potential for Laetip in the specific area, regarding host etc, although having seen a number of the Sativas & Quercus with Fista in residence on the day, like the one shown below, there was however no sign of Laetip.

Although can't say that I carried out a complete & comprehensive myco survey on every single tree at Grenwich :001_tongue:

I'm sure the yella fella was more than likely lurking somewheres abouts.

DSC01388.JPG.53595f630f9c8a8dbc09cbe9f9c07a79.JPG

to be fair, fistulina and laetiporus prefer and tend to fruit at seperat times within the same site, laetiporus liking a bit warmer weather than fistulina, though as you know nothing in mycology is atypical!

i wont suggest you wont see them together, but i will say that not seeing them together is abnormal.

to be fair, fistulina and laetiporus prefer and tend to fruit at seperat times within the same site, laetiporus liking a bit warmer weather than fistulina, though as you know nothing in mycology is atypical!

i wont suggest you wont see them together, but i will say that not seeing them together is abnormal.

Remember reading about the diferent fruiting times like you say, but now realise having seen it they overlap often like this example at Hampstead.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/3367-dual-decay.html

P9090051.JPG.1b3d39397c7b0a2ce3535c73720a8e8f.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D