Stihls sales policy

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Perhaps they have been purchased in person in the past.

As I understand it, if you purchase face to face at a show for example, and are then on the dealers customer list, they can mail saws out after that. I may be wrong though!

No they were over the phone , i did ask about warranty issues and was told "take it to the local dealer there problem" it will all implode one day when the local guy is out the game .

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps they have been purchased in person in the past.

As I understand it, if you purchase face to face at a show for example, and are then on the dealers customer list, they can mail saws out after that. I may be wrong though!

Yes that's how I seem to do it now! But I went to a local agricultural show yesterday and was a trade stand from a stihl dealer, I asked if he would match f R Jones and he did [emoji106]🏻

Life's all about moving forward, you learn what you can and crack on!!

OP, perhaps approach your local dealer with your online price and see if they'll match it/come close?

I did try but my local dealer would not budge. Whilst I would have paid say £20 to £40 more to get it from my local dealer, £210 is just too much of a stretch. I cannot fathom why there is such a huge disparity.

All my saws are Stihl, but my next one will be Husqvarna.

I did try but my local dealer would not budge. Whilst I would have paid say £20 to £40 more to get it from my local dealer, £210 is just too much of a stretch. I cannot fathom why there is such a huge disparity.

All my saws are Stihl, but my next one will be Husqvarna.

Some dealers just won't help. When I got robbed a couple of years ago I needed a new climbing saw pretty quick to keep working so asked my regular dealer to match skyland price on a 540xp and he wouldn't budge a penny (about £70 difference at the time) despite that fact I'd bought my last one there at his full price and been in there buying some bits for a combi system the day before which also got stolen. Being loyal goes both ways so I just go online or wherever is nearest now

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Some dealers just won't help. When I got robbed a couple of years ago I needed a new climbing saw pretty quick to keep working so asked my regular dealer to match skyland price on a 540xp and he wouldn't budge a penny (about £70 difference at the time) despite that fact I'd bought my last one there at his full price and been in there buying some bits for a combi system the day before which also got stolen. Being loyal goes both ways so I just go online or wherever is nearest now

Some smaller dealers are now struggling due to the drop in sales , are they really robbing you or do they need to charge full whack to keep a roof over there heads ? just a thought .

Some smaller dealers are now struggling due to the drop in sales , are they really robbing you or do they need to charge full whack to keep a roof over there heads ? just a thought .

No problem with them charging what they need to make a living but when you've spent thousands in there and are in need would price matching break the bank? Wouldn't ask for under cost but at that time I'd lost 2k in tools and everything else I had to buy from eBay as insurance wouldn't pay out and had a 2 month old baby. That dealer has lost out since as was a bit of a drive but I go elsewhere now as I said unless I'm local and it's convenient

No problem with them charging what they need to make a living but when you've spent thousands in there and are in need would price matching break the bank? Wouldn't ask for under cost but at that time I'd lost 2k in tools and everything else I had to buy from eBay as insurance wouldn't pay out and had a 2 month old baby. That dealer has lost out since as was a bit of a drive but I go elsewhere now as I said unless I'm local and it's convenient

Yes i know some dealers with there heads stuck in the sand ! i also know a couple of genuine small players who are struggling with the cost of keeping going , i would of thought a discount would be in order if your spending thousands with them !

It's all about overheads. Physical shop fronts are expensive compared to operating out of a lock up.

I much prefer Internet purchases as it is far more convenient for me. I appreciate that Stihl has to offer protection to its dealer network though. What seems like a better tactic would be to not allow discounting against the RRP than restrict mail ordering. If all Stihl distributors had to charge the same then its a level playing field.

I dont want to sound heartless but dealers are like any other retailer - they need to adapt to the changing marketplace. They dont, they are doomed.

Most purchases are made online these days and this is only going one way. If Stihl lifted this policy I reckon you'd see a big drop in shop sales and the corresponding rise in online sales. Good for buyers, bad for dealers. I'd question whether Stihl policy is actually protecting its dealer network or just delaying the inevitable though?

It's all about overheads. Physical shop fronts are expensive compared to operating out of a lock up.

I much prefer Internet purchases as it is far more convenient for me. I appreciate that Stihl has to offer protection to its dealer network though. What seems like a better tactic would be to not allow discounting against the RRP than restrict mail ordering. If all Stihl distributors had to charge the same then its a level playing field.

Totally agree.

My local dealer doesn't have a shop front its just a smelly shed/workshop on an industrial estate! They appear to make their money from charging the older generation stupid amounts of money for annual mower service.:thumbdown: