Protos helmet - Feedback

Jay_UK

Hi there,

I knew the SNR rating was lower before I bought them (the issue is not the SNR), I have other EDs with the same rating and they are fine (I'm happy with that level of rating for sawing). Trying on the helmet briefly before I bought the helmet it seemed fine, great fit on my head, the EDs seemed ok.

It is only now that I use the helmet for 6 hours or so with saws and cutters that I have noticed they aren't sealing as well as they could be. My other EDs (of the same SNR) cut out a lot more sound. By simply applying a little more pressure to the Protos ones I can make them match my other EDs.

I'm hoping to get to APF, but not sure of my schedule/commitments at the mo.

I'll speak to Yvonne@Clark's (Pfanner Distie) and see if she knows anything - She has been a great help with my other gear :)

J.

• 3 weeks later...

Well some feed back...

As my issue seemed to be lack of pressure of the ear defenders onto my head, I looked in to whether I could easily increase the spring pressure.

One thing I noticed while testing, was the grey arms that hold the ear defenders/cups onto the helmet flexed a lot when they had spring pressure applied. The arms themselves are hollow (I assume to save weight/cost).

So I decided to see about stiffening them up, I filled the hollows with glue and let set for a for days.

I'm happy to say the extra stiffness has helped, the ear defenders sit better/more firmly against my head and the effectiveness of the ear defenders has increased :)

J.

• 5 weeks later...

The most expensive helmet I have ever bought. And by far the worst!

I was very excited when I unpacked it, but after the first climb with a chainsaw, my ears felt as if I had been to a rock concert. Have adjusted the spring to full pressure, but it's still the same.

The size adjustment is clumsy as well. Normally I start a winter day wearing a hat inside the helmet and then takes it off after a while. On other helmets you just turn a wheel but on the protos adjustment is very clumsy and complicated. Furthermore the helmets takes a very long time to dry which means it smells horrible after only a few days of work.

Pfanner: you can do way better than that!

If anyone knows of a way to get the money back, please pm me.

Have spend many years in Pfanner jackets and chainsawpants - and they are great! I was expecting more from a Pfanner helmet!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk