experiences after first 12 months in tree surgery

bggc

That true, but you just have to push your business on as much as you can regardless of who your up against. There are a few more firms around the area, some I've never heard of so they must be travelling from a fair way off, as I know or know of most of the firms round here.

In business if you approach things the right way, you can penetrate any market, I don't envy you trying to get a business established now though. What made you want to get in to tree work? I would have thought you'd make a reasonable do with grounds maintenance, these days people love having gardens, but don't want to do any gardening!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have just completed my first 12 months in the industry recently, i entered with no background in treework or forestry and enrolled on an apprenticeship scheme, it wasn't easy to get on i had to work hard to get a company to take me on even though they didn't have to pay any fees because i was government funded. luckily i found someone to take me on, a guy with a small company of 3 teams and its been great from there, i've learnt the safe side of the industry and new techniques at college and the realworld experience that is so important at work.

In 12 months i have gained my CS30 CS38 PA1 PA6 and doing my CS31 this month, i will also gain an NVQ level 2 award and have gained 3 key skills level 1 qualifications.

Good for you mate, it sounds like you're on your way! hard work, enthusiasm and a few lucky breaks, i think you've got them all so far, hope it continues going well for you.

It gets harder though in other ways, 17 years in this game I find the niggling little aches and pains take longer to get over. In fact my one bit of advice for anyone coming into this job, particularly if your older, would be to make sure you lift things properly and don't try and break any weight lifting records! If you have any latent injuries, you can be sure doing this job will find them out.

I'v been in Engineering all my working life so i'v breathed in my fair share of rubbish without going into detail so i think it makes me really appreciate being outside. I set up my part time grounds maintenance business 3 years ago because i felt really vunerable at work when people started to be made redundant. As times gone by i'v started to look beyond the regular stuff like grass cutting and hedge trimming in a bid to expand my skills and services, i get asked to do some tree work now and again, and nothing narks me more than having to turn business down because i'm not capable of doing it, that, along with the fact i'v really enjoyed the few tree jobs i'v had are the reasons i'v taken to the trade....so far! I think also i can see there is a lot of skill and knowledge involved which is something i'v been accustomed to in my current trade, albeit in a totaly different field.

I'v been in Engineering all my working life so i'v breathed in my fair share of rubbish without going into detail so i think it makes me really appreciate being outside. I set up my part time grounds maintenance business 3 years ago because i felt really vunerable at work when people started to be made redundant. As times gone by i'v started to look beyond the regular stuff like grass cutting and hedge trimming in a bid to expand my skills and services, i get asked to do some tree work now and again, and nothing narks me more than having to turn business down because i'm not capable of doing it, that, along with the fact i'v really enjoyed the few tree jobs i'v had are the reasons i'v taken to the trade....so far! I think also i can see there is a lot of skill and knowledge involved which is something i'v been accustomed to in my current trade, albeit in a totaly different field.

Is there alot of competition where you are?

It gets harder though in other ways, 17 years in this game I find the niggling little aches and pains take longer to get over. In fact my one bit of advice for anyone coming into this job, particularly if your older, would be to make sure you lift things properly and don't try and break any weight lifting records! If you have any latent injuries, you can be sure doing this job will find them out.

yeh, right enough there, I don't attempt to lift half what I would have 20 yrs ago, and make sure I bend the knees, keep back straight etc etc...

If yer aching after 17 yrs, try 25+:001_smile: Have to check if all the bits are in place once you straighten up!!:laugh1:

yeh, right enough there, I don't attempt to lift half what I would have 20 yrs ago, and make sure I bend the knees, keep back straight etc etc...

If yer aching after 17 yrs, try 25+:001_smile: Have to check if all the bits are in place once you straighten up!!:laugh1:

I used to go to this chiropractor for my back, stopped going for a bit and the pain stopped! I think the treatment was doing more damage than the work was!

Yes there's a fair amount, but i'm a firm believer of you have to get amongst them, if you have the right image, know what you're doing and treat people fair then i think you have a chance to get a foot in the door. The problem i have is that i'm chomping at the bit to get going but i'm afraid to jack my full time job in, i'm concerned that i'll be joining the masses who have been made redundant that are already trying their hand at it. My plan is to get qualified and gradually get more experience as i go along and if i'm pushed then i'll be in a better position than what i'm in now plus, if this recesion turns around then hopefully a lot of the people who are just dabbling at it may decide it's not for them and find other fields of employment.

You lads should get a room!

The reason some appear to drop off Arbtalk is, like me, they ask s**t loads of questions for six months. Then spend another six months building up a great network of contract climbers, groundies, machine operators, contacts abroad etc., then are sorted so don't post much anymore.

Or end up addicted like the rest of us.

Simple.

:thumbup:

Yes there's a fair amount, but i'm a firm believer of you have to get amongst them, if you have the right image, know what you're doing and treat people fair then i think you have a chance to get a foot in the door. The problem i have is that i'm chomping at the bit to get going but i'm afraid to jack my full time job in, i'm concerned that i'll be joining the masses who have been made redundant that are already trying their hand at it. My plan is to get qualified and gradually get more experience as i go along and if i'm pushed then i'll be in a better position than what i'm in now plus, if this recesion turns around then hopefully a lot of the people who are just dabbling at it may decide it's not for them and find other fields of employment.

I hope it goes ok for you and wish you all the best pal, I think you've obviously got the right ideas to go about it.

This website is a great idea, I wish I'd found it ages ago.