Best 3" chipper shredder

Down-the-slope

Most of the 3" chippers that are said to be 'commercial' standard have the honda 13hp engine TW 13/75, Camon c150 / JB 300....what I can't work out is the huge diffence in price almost 2k between them

All I will say on this is you get what you pay for. The metalwork on the Jo-Beau range is very well manufactured. I chose the JB over other makes through talking to those who've used them. I nearly fell for the Greenmech, but as it hadnt been out on the market for long there was no real feedback. But Stevie is pleased with his, and would soon say if he wasnt.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the on off switch gave me some jip and the choke was vibrating forward sometimes, i didnt even bother, i just stuck on a small bunjee and carried on, my dealer called me for a chat to see how i was getting on, when i mentioned this he said he would pick it up whenever i wanted and get it serviced and fixed for me, he reconed the choke just needed a new spring or just a little tighten as the machine had only ever ran once in the workshop before i bought it, great service, that alone is worth good money. And i know jonesie will offer an excellent service with the jobeau. we are having a carry on saying our is better than the other on the other thread but i know andy has been working chippers for years and wouldnt just say his is great if it wasnt as i wouldnt either.

How much are you going to use it first of all?

Then decide on value.

I got a 13/75 (2003 I think) and I would not change it for anything esp now its running in tandem with my 190. It cost me £2.5K new with a spare set of blades. Alternating the blades/servicing is all its ever had. I have not used it for a month or two but can guarantee it would still fire up on 1st pull.

No doubt the JB's may well be 'better', but is it worth the trade off in cost? That will depend on the use, etc.

Edited by RPA
spelling again

I think the fact that we are both chuffed with our machines is a credit to both manufacturers, and suppliers. I've been pushing mine hard on jobs where I could have used a bigger machine, just to put it through its paces, and it is that good that I havent wished I'd taken the bigger machine. In fact its saved me time on many a job now.

heres the little gloria on her virgin run, we had never used it before so we are only putting through small straight stuff, that is the secret i think, make it as straight as possible before trying to chip. i work mostly with loppers and silky now tbh. i have chipped cony cuttings, ivy, beech, oak you name it. even clematis, loads of the stuff, i chopped it up with the hedge cutter on the lawn and shoved it through with conifer, never clogged once. all you have to do is make sure it has no bits in it when turning it off, i always let it run for about 30sec after chipping, brush out the hopper, give it a bit of a wobble then turn it off. we have had to open the side casing a couple of times and reverse the belts and take out bits of chip that have been caught on the anvil. but now we are wise for it, and even then it takes 5 mins to do this. no biggy.:001_cool: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGGIlkUWAs0]YouTube - shreks wee chipper[/ame]

I think the fact that we are both chuffed with our machines is a credit to both manufacturers, and suppliers. I've been pushing mine hard on jobs where I could have used a bigger machine, just to put it through its paces, and it is that good that I havent wished I'd taken the bigger machine. In fact its saved me time on many a job now.

:thumbup:

How much are you going to use it first of all?

Then decide on value.

I got a 13/75 (2003 I think) and I would not change it for anything esp now its running in tandem with my 190. It cost me £2.5K new with a spare set of blades. Alternating the blades/servicing is all its ever had. I have not used it for a month or two but can guarantee it would still fire up on 1st pull.

No doubt the JB's may well be 'better', but is it worth the trade off in cost? That will depend on the use, etc.

Thanks thats helpful, as I would thing the extra 2k would only be worth it if you are using it day in day out. I probably would use it 40 days a year ish

heres the little gloria on her virgin run, we had never used it before so we are only putting through small straight stuff, that is the secret i think, make it as straight as possible before trying to chip. i work mostly with loppers and silky now tbh. i have chipped cony cuttings, ivy, beech, oak you name it. even clematis, loads of the stuff, i chopped it up with the hedge cutter on the lawn and shoved it through with conifer, never clogged once. all you have to do is make sure it has no bits in it when turning it off, i always let it run for about 30sec after chipping, brush out the hopper, give it a bit of a wobble then turn it off. we have had to open the side casing a couple of times and reverse the belts and take out bits of chip that have been caught on the anvil. but now we are wise for it, and even then it takes 5 mins to do this. no biggy.:001_cool:

:thumbup1: thanks nice vid...the Green Mech is an 18/20 hp?

The biggest down side about the 13/75 is the outlet. But if you have to remove chip from site just loop dumpy bag handles over the outlet shoot handle = bagged and no mess.

SWB is right that these machines are great but it does tale a bit more prep before chipping. 5 min more sneddin down will save 20 chippin. It doen not matter how long stuff is just take out the knuckles