Weekend Turning Projects

mickdundee

Well along with the lathe my missus got me at Xmas she also chose this book off amazon.

cf01610d99637fcbac009404a317c8a2.jpg

According to the author the progression through the book develops particular techniques similar to how he progressed through an apprenticeship.

This is my attempt at Project 1 a rolling pin.

d947481f5dbbd8818778edcba57dc2d6.jpg

It's not the intended shape but it was a salvage job to be honest after a bad catch

289ee9cc3c2097a4c10502cbcf8c9704.jpg

The two ends. One was rolled over further before sawing off so the other end has a larger flat

a474ba6f3d8ada5c425e863eddb4748a.jpg

But I was pretty happy with how flat I got the pin. Bit of a hollow in the middle but I quit while I was ahead haha986c060bc84d1014067d47b247ed1768.jpg

I don't know if it'll actually survive as its turned from a price of birch which is still fairly green and has the pith running through, but it's what I had to hand and I was more interested in getting on the tools than actually having something to show for it.

I'll be keeping any further attempts at this and the rest of the projects all on this thread so it's easier for me to look back and compare.

Any comments, criticisms welcome, I've got a thick skin (It matches my head) haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna have to make an effort to get to you again some time Steve. I haven't even been on the lathe for 3 weeks until this morning. I logged a load of beech as well early spring. I didn't worry about holding any back as I thought I'd get more from work, but I've moved jobs now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk