Re-pollard or reduce

cuttergary

Hi all, hope I have put this in the right pace. I have been asked to look at a row of limes to Re-pollard. They are all over a main road and all of them are reasonably small and straight forward. There is one however which is much bigger, is long overdue any maintenance "don't know why, maybe it was deemed to much of a ball ache with traffic management" it's around 35 ft and if re-pollarded most of the final cuts would be around 12" across! Surely there must be some fairly dodgy unions, it certainly needs something done to it in my view being over a very busy road. Obviously limes pollards well. But is this pushing it a bit? Should it be reduced instead? The whole rest of the row on both sides of the road will all be pollarded. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks guys 👍37a8efc2c0bd16c5dc6dd0829039c329.jpg I haven’t

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

It's worth reading Sect. 7.10 of BS3998 (2010) which talks about Pollards and lapsed pollards.

Basically it suggests treating the tree in the normal way, i.e. via crown reduction in the first instance, and a kinda phased re-pollard, leaving some foliage, as the second option, and then retention of 'live' stubs to encourage regrowth from dormant buds as the last option.

The other option is a combination of thinning out of the regrowth stems combined with crown reducing those retained. The example you showed is probably too far gone for this approach I would suggest.

Hope you find a solution n sure many will say as it's a Lime just "crack on", which will probably be fine but always worth checking what our industry standard says about it first :thumbup1:

Cheers fer now..

Paul

Cheers Paul, I had wondered about phasing into a pollard but it's LA with traffic management needed on a very busy A road and getting them to agree to multiple visits is unlikely. Just found out its been 15yrs since the small ones were done. Will give bs3998 a read. Cheers bud 👍

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk