Arb Waste Price?

Gmorgan

Good Afternoon,

As a possible top up for my firewood stockpile and as i haven't always got as much time cutting up in the woods as i would like, I've been thinking about contacting local tree surgeons to see if they would be interested in letting some of their arb waste go.

Assuming it would all be rings or larger pieces or knotty lumps unsuitable for a processor, and it all being hardwood, what sort of price would you consider fair to offer? i don't expect anything for free but i also don't want to give too much away, after all I've still got lots of work with a saw and a splitter to do myself.

I have a double cab ranger and an unbraked 8x4 trailer that i generally use to transport from woods to yard so i'd be after a guesstimated a price based on what i could fit between the 2.

I could well be interested in a steady supply rather than just the one off depending on location as well.

cheers

George

I buy from a tip site locally and have an ongoing supply. I turn up with a 14 x 6 trailer and it's loaded with a JCB in about five minutes flat, no sweat or hassle.

The wood is whatever comes out of the pile, hard and soft, all species, all sizes and shapes. It does take some more work than just ringing up cordwood but in general, there is a good yield from what initially seems rubbish.

I pay £20 a load but wouldn't pay more than that as I can buy cordwood for £35 a ton but that means an hour journey each way. The arb waste is good value for me, even with the extra work it takes to get decent firewood.

I won't pay anything for it, people can tip as long as they bring decent stuff now and then but we usually give the logs away because of the poor quality you get out of that type timber, it's not easy trying to get a standard 10" from rings 6-15"

Contact local trees surgeons and they may be happy to dump it on your property for free as often they don't have a sufficiently large quantity to make it worth processing or the space to store it, especially when it's normally leylandii