Wessex Flail Mower cutting out

roys

Took the manifold and carb of today, stripped the carb down to its component parts and cleaned and prodded, put back together. Fastened on a temporary fuel tank and gravity fed straight into carb doing away with my pipe work, pump and manual shut off valve. Cut grass for 45 minutes no probs, yippeeee.

So where does that leave me, well I sloshed some petrol about vigorously in my tank and emptied it into a clear plastic bottle and I am convinced there is chalky deposits in it, this has probably contaminated my fuel pump and pipe work, so I will pull through some rag in the pipe work and buy a new pump as they are sealed.

What is the best way to clean the inside of the plastic tank?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took the manifold and carb of today, stripped the carb down to its component parts and cleaned and prodded, put back together. Fastened on a temporary fuel tank and gravity fed straight into carb doing away with my pipe work, pump and manual shut off valve. Cut grass for 45 minutes no probs, yippeeee.

So where does that leave me, well I sloshed some petrol about vigorously in my tank and emptied it into a clear plastic bottle and I am convinced there is chalky deposits in it, this has probably contaminated my fuel pump and pipe work, so I will pull through some rag in the pipe work and buy a new pump as they are sealed.

What is the best way to clean the inside of the plastic tank?

Good news , washed out a few very dirty plastic tanks with Fairy liquid and scalding water , flushed with plenty scalding water to remove any detergent then left to dry . had a few machines before with white paste like substance in the fuel not sure if it is an ethanol issue ? usually its lumps of paint from jerry cans i find ..

Good news , washed out a few very dirty plastic tanks with Fairy liquid and scalding water , flushed with plenty scalding water to remove any detergent then left to dry . had a few machines before with white paste like substance in the fuel not sure if it is an ethanol issue ? usually its lumps of paint from jerry cans i find ..

Thanks njm will get some fairy in it today, just had a look in the tank and I can see there is a very slight white film at the filler neck on the tank, something has contaminated it for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Yippeeee finally looks like it's sorted, so after stripping the fuel system right down, cleaning carb, pull through all the fuel lines, putting a dishwasher cleaning tablet, boiling water and 24 stainless steel bolts in the tank and rattling it about for ten minutes, emptying it leaving it for a week to dry and a final blast with a hairdryer, fitting another new fuel filter, filling with fresh fuel and a Briggs and Stratton fuel stabiliser dose.

It works and did a whole hour without cutting out, well that was an epic, flipping too much ethanol in our fuel now!!! causes no end of problems.