Micro forestry

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the above video. The micro harvester is cute but it would put me to sleep. You have to put stabiliser legs down - a big minus. Very little crane and slewing power, slow head (despite being roller), poor ground clearance, tiny wheels etc etc; not sure they'd cope in a normal brash mat. The slow feed in the head will seriously hamper delimbing aswell. Get a cab, it's Britain! The timber in that vid is comparatively clean, first thinning in Sitka...!...Hmmm

Oh and first thinnings (neglected) goes upto 40cm dbh readily down here.

The newer version does have a full cab.

The marketing idea would be to get into stands before they got to 40cm. For first thinning, it's way too late and from what I'm lead to believe, means an increased risk of windblow.

The machines look great but the questions you need to answer:

Can you find enough work - year round to keep the machines busy?

Can you really shift 40 ton in a day. Every day?

Can someone else do the job cheaper with a bigger machine?

The problem I have found is that most woodland owners don't really care about the low impact benefits they simple want to know how quickly and how cheap can you do the job. If we can educate the owners then yes I think the small machines can be viable.

Riko UK have now started bringing in a mini forwarder which looks very capable.

If anyone is interested drop me a PM and I will get some specs and pricing.

T8 - KINETIC 8x8

[ATTACH]202482[/ATTACH]

I reckon Riko are going to sell a few of them :thumbup1:

He was being greedy with the grab and still slinging it onto the stack without both legs down. Plus it had tracks on with decent grousers.

:thumbup1:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I am thinking of similar ere i west Wales, but mounting a hypro 300 on the Kinetic to process first thinnings. There is not enough softwood around here to keep me busy, so it would have to be back to motor /manual for hardwood, of which there is enough to keep me busy.

I would be interested in seeing that if you got it going I have a alpine and fowarder tralier and thought about mounting on that. Would you need a separate engine and how would it cope on hard woods??

The newer version does have a full cab.

The marketing idea would be to get into stands before they got to 40cm. For first thinning, it's way too late and from what I'm lead to believe, means an increased risk of windblow.

That is correct. Early intervention lets the wind into the matrix and the remaining trees develop stronger roots. Slightly soil / site dependant.

Some pics to explain my points:

The VERY rough young Spruce;

What the desired result should look like;

You want the hydraulic horsepower; wouldn't want any less for both felling, feeding and delimbing, prompt reversing upto the stacking hole in the adjacent row and the crane power to manipulate the trees. A swing shovel conversion will have atleast enough guts to run a stroke head (very reliable) or roller head if going beyond 12t, and masses of dipper power, plus you can swing right around. Anti-track derail skis are a sensible addition.

WP_20150817_17_44_37_Pro.jpg.194ebe518a829fc3b6cea7d97533abf6.jpg

WP_20150824_13_02_21_Pro.jpg.e92330cbda5784b91a346cfca23428c5.jpg

WP_20150824_13_46_45_Pro.jpg.2e1089439c0123ad13323048686c6d91.jpg

WP_20150824_13_44_29_Pro.jpg.c4939e972bc9cc76cc5b81a5698a4f4c.jpg

J, You’ll never get 40t per day in first thinnings, particularly at 15cm dbh which will give two pieces 3m chip/pulp if you’re lucky.

- There are 30 pieces 3m to the ton.

- 15 trees to the ton

- 3 mins per tree to fell, sned, cut to length (very optimistic)

- Equals 45 mins to harvest a ton.

- A 10 hour day would give 13 ton a day…and that’s with not one break!

So realistically going to be circa 10t per day harvesting and as TCD says there may be brashing costs too. I also think your figure of £32 per ton roadside for 3m is optimistic, you may be fairly near the Cowie chip plant so lower haulage but it still seems slightly high.

I’ve been there and done that with heart over head thing re small scale forestry and I was doing ok with larger second hand gear until the £/€ really hit prices, fortunately I had a second career which actually pays more with less hassle… Albeit I still miss the woods on clear day.

Anyway, I would strongly suggest you stick to milling – it’s what you know and more to the point there’s higher margin.

Sorry I can’t be more encouraging

Just seen that that Bison forwarder doesn't have bogie drive, only tyre lug drive motor - think about tyre wear / brash / mud blah blah blah... I can see why; the centre joint hasn't the space for a prop shaft; how stong will that be?

Nice fast crane tho; as did the Kinetic 8x8 have. The Bisons bigger diameter wheels matter - a lot imo.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I would be interested in seeing that if you got it going I have a alpine and fowarder tralier and thought about mounting on that. Would you need a separate engine and how would it cope on hard woods??

I only thought of it last night, i am guessing that you will need an additional power pack to power the hypro