Ways in to Arboriculture from scratch.

Tim

Sorry to butt in on this thread but it is on the same lines.

I am new to tree surgery and i am lined up for the NPTC courses as i go along. my concern is tree indentification. I am picking up the tree names and growing pattens quickly but want to know if there maybe a course i could do to get up too speed quicker.

I have had a look online but the courses are baffling me a little.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much

Edward.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trees are a bit like Humans, you don't need to know their name to operate on them, color and creed is a factor you don't need to know too often.

As long as you know how they work inside out and how, what you do to them, effects their health :scared:

It'll come in time, there are so many,what I call garden varieties, it takes a very long time to learn them and their varieties.

Edward - IMO your best bet would be to buy a tree ident book or two. My suggestions would be either the 'Collins Tree Guide' (£25 roughly) or a 'Dorling Kindersley handbook called 'Trees' by Allen J. Coombes

(£14 roughly)

I have just ordered the Collins tree guide on your recommendation. thank you.

Pentcols, its good to hear that i will pick it up as i go along, thank you, very reasurring.

Thanks

Edward.

Trees are a bit like Humans, you don't need to know their name to operate on them, color and creed is a factor you don't need to know too often.

As long as you know how they work inside out and how, what you do to them, effects their health :scared:

I think it is important to know the species your working with. depending on the managment, formative pruning , vunlerabilty to diseae in some species,reactions to decay and timber strengthm, best place to plant them ecte. i think you need to know what your working with. Get a good book on tree pruning and learn what the trees need is. The pruning of trees , shrubs and conifers is a good book.

It'll come in time, there are so many,what I call garden varieties, it takes a very long time to learn them and their varieties.

Surely thats ok while your on surgery but when your on removals you need to be able to recognise species. Ident comes with practice and experiance though mines getting better all the time. It used to be awfull.

Know what your saying but IMO all trees work basically the same and have nearly all the same reaction to bad pruning, sticking to basic training etc 30% rule, they all feed, drink and sleep basically the same, rot basically the same, yes some diseases are specific.

All I'm saying is don't panic, tree ident is not a big deal, don't try and learn it over night.

If I come across a specific problem with a specific tree, I reference books, I don't try and keep everything in my head. There's not enough room! :wave:

Know what your saying but IMO all trees work basically the same and have nearly all the same reaction to bad pruning, sticking to basic training etc 30% rule, they all feed, drink and sleep basically the same, rot basically the same, yes some diseases are specific.

All I'm saying is don't panic, tree ident is not a big deal, don't try and learn it over night.

If I come across a specific problem with a specific tree, I reference books, I don't try and keep everything in my head. There's not enough room! :wave:

I agree with all that what i was getting at was, if you get a job sheet that says fell willow at XYZ and you can't tell the differance between the willow and the birch next to it, there could be a costy mistake!

I agree with all that what i was getting at was, if you get a job sheet that says fell willow at XYZ and you can't tell the differance between the willow and the birch next to it, there could be a costy mistake!

Correct Matt, sorry mate, I wasn't thinking along those lines.

That's a very good point. He could always carry a book with him?