Bald/Swamp Cypress

Anyone seen one in the countryside? I'm finishing this years planting and want a few wet tolerant trees next to a stream that floods. Only about 15 or so in this bit. Bit worried they'll be out of context in transitional UK woodland. Failing these it'll be alder/ash.

Anyone seen one in the countryside? I'm finishing this years planting and want a few wet tolerant trees next to a stream that floods. Only about 15 or so in this bit. Bit worried they'll be out of context in transitional UK woodland. Failing these it'll be alder/ash.

We've got one in our garden and another one somewhere in the village.

They're obviously not native, but sound emminently suitable for the location and won't stand out as much as you might think - after all they shed their needles in the winter.

They're nice-looking trees.

There is a lovely one close to the deer park entrance at Levens Hall, Cumbria. The river Kent just next to it regularly floods the area and the tree has no difficulties at all.

This should work! : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Levens+Hall,+Kendal,+Cumbria+LA8+0PD/@54.2607577,-2.7752235,3a,75y,94.66h,88.7t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZ2oIPL32htfilNgyGeijvA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DZ2oIPL32htfilNgyGeijvA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D86.8455%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x487c902540813101:0x118f091f03beade0

You can see it immediately behind the chevron sign. Great tree.

With regard to being in context with the landscape, with the current threats to ash and other species, the threats on the horizon etc I'm starting to think we are going to see lots of changes to the landscape anyway and in fifty or hundred years time it could be very different anyone.

I'm all for introducing less usual/common/normal species if it increases species variety.