Climbing saws crankcase pooling?

stevenson

Morning all -

I have only used two climbing saws, the aforementioned cr@p Tanaka ECS3301 and the better (I think) Husky 338XPT (this year's model, much (!) improved).

No matter how much you adjust the low speed jet on these saws, and the idle, they will either stagger or cut out after they have been idling dangling from a lanyard for a few minutes, and you bring them to the horizontal. I like to start saws in the tree as little as possible, so this habit annoys the hell out of me.

The Husky did it straight out of the box.

Questions:

1 Does anyone else experience this?

2 Does anyone agree that it is caused by fuel condensing in the crankcase whilst vertical and going somewhere inconvenient when brought horizontal

3 Does anyone have a suggestion as to a cure

4 Do the Stihl climbing saws ever do it, and if not, why not?

And yes, this is my first post, so go easy on me.

Stevenson

"I like to start saws in the tree as little as possible, so this habit annoys the hell out of me."

Hearing idling saws in the tree annoys the hell out of me! LOL.

I don't think any two stroke chain saw engine is designed for long idles. It's the nature of the beast. To design them for long idling likely we would loose performance on the top end.

Why don't you like to start saws in the tree?

Because if I'm dismantling and not rigging, I will cut several limbs one after the other with a quick reposition in between. For a safe start, the lanyard adjustment is usually different from the adjustment I use when cutting. (No I don't usually cut one handed.)

So, it takes longer and is more fatiguing to cut, reposition, start, adjust lanyard for cut, cut, reposition, start, adjust lanyard for cut etc., than if I can reposition and cut straight away.

Moreover with this problem, a flooded saw takes more than one pull to start.

Unnecessary fatigue threatens safety.

Luckily, I work far away from people who may be annoyed by my saws idling, and it would involve an air ambulance if I had a saw accident.

I forgot to mention that I am 52 years old, and try to be both energy efficient and safe.

Constructive answers are also welcome!!:)

stevenson

im curious what sort of lanyard you're using now

Wire core, ~14 mm diameter, French made, Maxiglisse camming adjuster, works OK, could do with a swivel at both ends, rather than just at one. It's unhandily stiff. I usually get the carabiner at the adjuster end incorrectly loaded and have to sort it out amid much swearing.

Haven't touched it with a saw - yet.

Perhaps I'm in no danger with these toy saws?:)

stevenson