Rate My Pollard

Aunt Maud

Personally I think there should be grants available to landowners to plant and maintain trees as pollards. A massive loss to the landscape both culturally and as key components to bio diversity

Absolutely Sean, too many are growing out too far to bring back in successfully without killing them off, and then just falling apart.

I just got involved in a load of forest hornbeam pollards that had gone way too far, and they lost 50 percent on repollarding them so now they are doing them by incremental reduction over a period of years, they stopped the pollarding when charcoal was no longer produced on industrial scale in the area many years ago.

We're grants available it would help preserve the heritage, and interaction between us mortals and our ancient yet ongoing working relationship with the trees.

A fascinating subject...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A

A fascinating subject...

Sounds like a nice project to be involved in.

During my time in hospital I thought a lot about pollards ( who knows why?:001_smile:). I was thinking about doing a book looking at the subject of pollards in this country. Look at the history, differing techniques from region to region, lots of old photographs, new photographs, blah de blah.

Sounds like a nice project to be involved in.

During my time in hospital I thought a lot about pollards ( who knows why?:001_smile:). I was thinking about doing a book looking at the subject of pollards in this country. Look at the history, differing techniques from region to region, lots of old photographs, new photographs, blah de blah.

Sean, you should continue thinking on those lines imo, it would be a true service to produce, both to the reader, the heritage sites, and the trees themselves, a fantastic project that you have the skill sets to achive, with your knowledge, contacts, and photographic skills, I can hardly urge you enough!

I just got involved in a load of forest hornbeam pollards that had gone way too far, and they lost 50 percent on repollarding them so now they are doing them by incremental reduction over a period of years, they stopped the pollarding when charcoal was no longer produced on industrial scale in the area many years ago.

Are these the ones in Epping Forest?

Alec

Sean, you should continue thinking on those lines imo, it would be a true service to produce, both to the reader, the heritage sites, and the trees themselves, a fantastic project that you have the skill sets to achive, with your knowledge, contacts, and photographic skills, I can hardly urge you enough!

Thanks Geoff. And yes I am still thinking along those lines and I guess have implemented them to a degree as in I'm reading and looking for old photographs and basically doing some initial research. One thing I am not short on is time so I hope to use it wisely during what is going to be a long recovery period for me. :001_smile:

Thanks Geoff. And yes I am still thinking along those lines and I guess have implemented them to a degree as in I'm reading and looking for old photographs and basically doing some initial research. One thing I am not short on is time so I hope to use it wisely during what is going to be a long recovery period for me. :001_smile:

I too have time now in my life, it is of great value, and I'm using it wisely.. at times...but enjoying fresh chalenges,whilst still working in the trees part time.

I have some reasonable contacts that manage old pollards in forest settings,I shall ask if they have any old records.:001_smile:

Sean, have you come across the Museum of English Rural Life (MERL) at Reading University? https://rdg.ent.sirsidynix.net.uk/client/merl

They have a huge collection of photos, mostly not very well described but many of them available at low resolution on line. You can literally sit there at the computer and pick your way through them by using creative search terms. The Tarlton collection in particular may throw something interesting up - actually in Geoff's area as it covers Terling and Fairstead in particular. I have spent happy hours scanning the rural scenes for elms!

They also list a book 'Pollards, people & ponies' / [by] Mike Walford which may contain some useful photos?

Alec

Sean, have you come across the Museum of English Rural Life (MERL) at Reading University? https://rdg.ent.sirsidynix.net.uk/client/merl

They have a huge collection of photos, mostly not very well described but many of them available at low resolution on line. You can literally sit there at the computer and pick your way through them by using creative search terms. The Tarlton collection in particular may throw something interesting up - actually in Geoff's area as it covers Terling and Fairstead in particular. I have spent happy hours scanning the rural scenes for elms!

They also list a book 'Pollards, people & ponies' / [by] Mike Walford which may contain some useful photos?

Alec

Brilliant, thanks for the info. Will check it out. :thumbup:

I too have time now in my life, it is of great value, and I'm using it wisely.. at times...but enjoying fresh chalenges,whilst still working in the trees part time.

I have some reasonable contacts that manage old pollards in forest settings,I shall ask if they have any old records.:001_smile:

Cheers Geoff that'd be great. Would be a good reason to meet up as well.:sneaky2: