Too Late To Move Fruit Trees??

Logged On

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing to lose in moving them then. Do it Asap, but be organised with planting holes ready etc.

Alec I know me and you have similar interests horticulturally, would it be Harry Dodson an old fellow that featured in a C4 (I think) tv series from the Rhs on propagation. I remember watching it and being totally fascinated by it.

From the mid 80s when gardening programs were about gardening not the arty I know it all and am wonderful, and just buy it in the garden Center along with the trendy tat you stick in your garden from there, whilst wasting the day over a coffee programming we get nowadays.

Geoff Hamilton was the best. Proper gardening tv died with him.:thumbdown:

I don't remember a series on propagation but The Victorian Kitchen Garden did include some work on fruit trees and I remember grafting being demonstrated - just dug out my book of the series and they were propagating a variety called Maltster, which was shown being grafted at Brogdale. Harry Dodson was 68 when the series was shown in the mid 1980s. It is quite possible that he demonstrated propagation on other series too.

I liked Geoff Hamilton and Anne Swithinbank (met her once at Wisley) but for me the best of all was Geoffrey Smith. I can still remember the theme tune! TV gardening is now not worth watching, but I still listen to GQT most Sundays.

Alec

Edit: Just found this, magic - [ame]

[/ame] Edited by agg221

Here's some photos BTW....

Quite a mess I think....

A mess, yes, but fixable.

I would give up on trying to grow the cherry against a wall and plant it freestanding. The plum could fairly easily brought back into a wall grown form. Possibly slightly more freestyle than it originally was but perfectly workable.

Out of interest, which part of the country are these in?

Alec