ID please on Cedar

Keithrturner

got to be adaptive growth - a bracket fungus would grow horizontally

I wuldn't say adaptive growth, it looks more simply like a response to wounding or some other reason for a large area of exposed wood. Even if there's not much or any visible decay this looks like classic Shigo CODIT Wall 4, inching towards occlusion and benefitting meantime from the legendary resistance of Cedar to superficial aerial decay. I'd admit readily that adaptive growth and wound occlusion are close relatives, the rapid growth response is reputedly due to flexure in both scenarios. But in this case it looks like normal flexure rahter than adaptation to changng forces on the tree.

Bitut there's only so much you can tell form a couple of pictures. I ma delighted that no-one (so far!) on Arbtalk has said "It's knackerd, great firewood by the way, looks like there's something in the background that might be crushed by the tree's imminent failure, fell it!"

Edited by daltontrees

I wuldn't say adaptive growth, it looks more simply like a response to wounding or some other reason for a large area of exposed wood. Even if there's not much or any visible decay this looks like classic Shigo CODIT Wall 4, inching towards occlusion and benefitting meantime from the legendary resistance of Cedar to superficial aerial decay. I'd admit readily that adaptive growth and wound occlusion are close relatives, the rapid growth response is reputedly due to flexure in both scenarios. But in this case it looks like normal flexure rahter than adaptation to changng forces on the tree.

Bitut there's only so much you can tell form a couple of pictures. I ma delighted that no-one (so far!) on Arbtalk has said "It's knackerd, great firewood by the way, looks like there's something in the background that might be crushed by the tree's imminent failure, fell it!"

:thumbup1:

Thanks guys - always good to get a second opinion. The tree is TPO'd and staying put, this has just been unearthed after the homeowner cleared a load of ivy and vegetation from the area and was understandably a little concerned. Given that the tree is around 70ft tall and located less than 20 from his house.

Ooh, on second thoughts, better fell it then - for safety's sake!!!:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes: