Ifor Williams LT105G Cert of Conformity

Aunt Maud

The Ifor dealer here is a bit of a **** to deal with.

Proper got the 'ump when we showed him a U.K quote for an Ifor tipper.

Wouldn't negociate a centime.

Told us the price we had was what he paid himself!

Before bringing ANY vehicle into a foreign country it does well to look up before hand the procedures for importation and registration.

Many models of vehicles cannot be registered in another country or must under go expensive work to alter the dash or add lights.

Some such as Japanese grey imports into the U.K cannot then be imported into France.

Our Iveco tipper conformed (500euros for a CofC) but the tipping unit did not so we forged one instead with the aid of a draughtsman (£200)

Our Atlas tipper trailer (pinched last year)

All the relevent parts carried an E.U CofC but as a whole trailer did not conform even though it was an almost exact copy of an Ifor!

It's all a bit Thomas Tank if you ask me...BLEH!

Ty

The Ifor dealer here is a bit of a **** to deal with.

Proper got the 'ump when we showed him a U.K quote for an Ifor tipper.

Wouldn't negociate a centime.

Told us the price we had was what he paid himself!

Before bringing ANY vehicle into a foreign country it does well to look up before hand the procedures for importation and registration.

Many models of vehicles cannot be registered in another country or must under go expensive work to alter the dash or add lights.

Some such as Japanese grey imports into the U.K cannot then be imported into France.

Our Iveco tipper conformed (500euros for a CofC) but the tipping unit did not so we forged one instead with the aid of a draughtsman (£200)

Our Atlas tipper trailer (pinched last year)

All the relevent parts carried an E.U CofC but as a whole trailer did not conform even though it was an almost exact copy of an Ifor!

It's all a bit Thomas Tank if you ask me...BLEH!

Ty

Yep, I cannot countenance buying and " immatriculating" Any other vehicles over here, plus the strength of the pound renders it pointless.

We bought our tipping trailer September 2014 in the U.K for 2200euros less than the French dealerships price.

The CofC came with it as standard and it took a short morning to get it registered here.

Admitedly the pound is a little stronger now but I always get a quote on kit regardless.

At the time, 2012, the Iveco tipper we brought in was 40% less in the U.K than the same year/condition/mileage etc in France.

Just the CofC for the tipping unit which caused us grief....grrr!

Even with the strong pound there are still significant savings to be made over French prices.

Except for John Deere, our 2 tractors were far less in France.

Ty

It really is all a load of grief sometimes.

I had to register my Ranger double cab and ended up paying £8000 in import tax, as I had to pay duty on the new price even though the truck was 6 years old. So I've paid for it twice now.

But, If I balance that against the ultra cheap price of the house and associated parcels of land, I'm still better off than if I was in the UK.

No immediate neighbours and a thatched timber framed farmhouse with an acre of garden, plus the coppice and an extra acre building plot all for £87,000.

The girls are happy at school and my wife works locally, so it's all pretty good when you stand back and look at it.

I live a lot further south than you so diesel, tolls, wear and tear on the vehicles time away from my dog and time off work all need to be placed in the "not worth it column"

Chippers and grinders, well that's a different matter.

I perhaps fortunate with being only 2.5hours from Caen.

I've bought several Ifors since 2010 all from the same dealer over the phone and moved all but 3 on for a margin to French clients.

Transport for each one,

no time off work, I used a guy returning with an empty van who delivers stuff between France and U.K plus he used the trailers for extra cargo space so around 75 euros a trailer.

Chippers, new prices here are far higher but using a U.K quote in my right fist I beat our local dealer down for the second time over a G.M machine.

I didn't bother with looking in the U.K for a used 7.5t truck this time with finance being so cheap here.

Ty

It really is all a load of grief sometimes.

I had to register my Ranger double cab and ended up paying £8000 in import tax, as I had to pay duty on the new price even though the truck was 6 years old. So I've paid for it twice now.

But, If I balance that against the ultra cheap price of the house and associated parcels of land, I'm still better off than if I was in the UK.

No immediate neighbours and a thatched timber framed farmhouse with an acre of garden, plus the coppice and an extra acre building plot all for £87,000.

The girls are happy at school and my wife works locally, so it's all pretty good when you stand back and look at it.

Yes, swings and roundabouts when you have a foot in different countries.

Cheaper housing and excellent health care in France but like Denmark, most self employed pay 50% MINIMUM in taxes of one sort or another plus a grand+ in health insurance for a family of 4.

My first year here, a family friend with a groundwork business put his arm around me at dinner one day and breathing Pastis in my ear gave me this advice.

"Remember, to get ahead in this country, work 4 days for France, one day for yourself...!"

Ty