Acceptance of Lantra vs City & Guilds qualification

Arbo

PS As a matter of (related) interest, as informed by several colleagues who undertake 'expert witness' work, in the event of an accident the legal system seems to be very much more interested in the training, including refreshers / updates, of individuals rather than their "certificates of competence" (as was.)

Its a million to one that anyone could pass a competence assessment without any training. What is often overlooked is that the training doesnt have to be formal, documented and paid for courses. It can be peer to peer or self study. Follow that with a proper competance assessment and it about as good as you can reasonably get.

As far as unassessed training goes, its potentially a waste of time and can put some people in real danger! When I did my windblown course there was a guy who really didnt understand winching forces yet he walked away with a piece of paper saying he'd been trained. He wasnt on the subsequent assessment so maybe he'd already taken himself out:ohmy:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windblow is high on my to do list. (The workbook has been done but I'm trying to source better images at the moment). I will have a look at the certification of the training on it as, although I take the point that in this case unassessed training is a waste of time, if someone is being "passed" on the training it implies that they are ready for assessment, but if they didn't understand the winching forces they clearly weren't.

Its a million to one that anyone could pass a competence assessment without any training. What is often overlooked is that the training doesnt have to be formal, documented and paid for courses. It can be peer to peer or self study. Follow that with a proper competance assessment and it about as good as you can reasonably get.

As far as unassessed training goes, its potentially a waste of time and can put some people in real danger! When I did my windblown course there was a guy who really didnt understand winching forces yet he walked away with a piece of paper saying he'd been trained. He wasnt on the subsequent assessment so maybe he'd already taken himself out:ohmy:

The above is very much a competent/proficient operator, OR employers, view on training and assessment, with which I wholly agree...as someone from the 'arb' industry.

The point I was making was that the legal system seems to have a different take on it, apparently :confused1:

Good post, cheers!

Paul