Usual chainsaw question.

Midge

Looks like a clean saw & a good deal.

Think person selling has maybe not measured bar as it looks like a 15.

Took a pic of my 420 with original 15 Tsumura bar.

Looks like a 15 to me?

http://s14.postimg.org/4qw51yh6p/IMG_20151111_202609.jpg

Hi

Agree, my moneys on a 15" bar, looks too short to be 18" against those paving blocks.

Looks nice & clean, plenty of cutter length left on the chain as well

Ask the seller for the numbers stamped on the bar

N

Edited by NFG

Or8 people, picked the saw up earlier and it does have a 15" bar. It is a very nice and clean saw, very sharp too. Started and ran fine and also got to test it out too!

Very happy with it initially just can't wait to use it now, will hopefully get a chance at work tomorrow!

However, I have a question regarding chain oil. Does it matter what brand of oil I use?

Manual says....

Fuel is a mixture of regular grade petrol and an air-cooled 2-stroke engine oil of reputable

brand name.

Minimum 89 Octane unleaded petrol is recommended.

Do not use fuel containing methyl alcohol or more than 10 % of ethyl alcohol.

ΠRecommended mixture ratio; 50 : 1 (2 %) for ISO-L-EGD Standard (ISO/CD 13738), JASO

FC, FD grade and ECHO Premium 50 : 1 oil or 25 : 1 (4 %) for JASO FB grade oil.

- Do not mix directly in engine fuel tank.

- Avoid spilling petrol or oil.

Spilled fuel should always be wiped up.

- Handle petrol with care, it is highly inflammable.

- Always store fuel in approved container.

Chain lubricant

Proper lubrication of the chain while in operation reduces the friction between the chain and

the guide bar to a minimum and assures a longer life time.

Use only special chain oil of high quality for this purpose.

Do not use any waste or reclaimed oil to avoid various problems with the oil pump.

In case of emergency, it is allowed to use motor oil for a short time.

SAE 30...in summer

SAE 10...in winter or for the cutting of wood with a high resin content.

All simple and obvious stuff but can I mix different brands of chain oil in same tank?

However, I have a question regarding chain oil. Does it matter what brand of oil I use?

Manual says....

Fuel is a mixture of regular grade petrol and an air-cooled 2-stroke engine oil of reputable

brand name.

Minimum 89 Octane unleaded petrol is recommended.

Do not use fuel containing methyl alcohol or more than 10 % of ethyl alcohol.

ΠRecommended mixture ratio; 50 : 1 (2 %) for ISO-L-EGD Standard (ISO/CD 13738), JASO

FC, FD grade and ECHO Premium 50 : 1 oil or 25 : 1 (4 %) for JASO FB grade oil.

- Do not mix directly in engine fuel tank.

- Avoid spilling petrol or oil.

Spilled fuel should always be wiped up.

- Handle petrol with care, it is highly inflammable.

- Always store fuel in approved container.

Chain lubricant

Proper lubrication of the chain while in operation reduces the friction between the chain and

the guide bar to a minimum and assures a longer life time.

Use only special chain oil of high quality for this purpose.

Do not use any waste or reclaimed oil to avoid various problems with the oil pump.

In case of emergency, it is allowed to use motor oil for a short time.

SAE 30...in summer

SAE 10...in winter or for the cutting of wood with a high resin content.

All simple and obvious stuff but can I mix different brands of chain oil in same tank?

Quick answer is no,i wouldnt recommend it.Some brands like stihl have there own chainsaw oil,because its quite runny-it has

been compared to piss in the past.

Other brands are more viscous,this is usually due to the diameter of the oil lubrication system in each brand of saw being different.

Quick answer is no,i wouldnt recommend it.Some brands like stihl have there own chainsaw oil,because its quite runny-it has

been compared to piss in the past.

Other brands are more viscous,this is usually due to the diameter of the oil lubrication system in each brand of saw being different.

Thanks, so I either need to keep running with same oil that's in or run it dry before using any different oil brand?

I generally use Oregon bar oil but have 5L of Stihl to run on really cold days. As its viscosity is that of melted honey. On the few occasions when I've swapped over, I've merely refilled with the other oil. Didn't both emptying the tank; just ran it down as normal.

Looks like you got a good deal on the saw.

The CS 420 ES is called the CS 400 in the USA if you want at some stage to do a muffler mod to it,Here is the links below.

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

Link for carb adjustment tool.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015ISVGX8?keywords=d%20shaped%20tool%20for%20walbro%20or%20zamo&qid=1447406878&ref_=sr_1_fkmr1_1&sr=8-1-fkmr1]Mudder 2 Cycle Carburetor Adjustment Tool Screwdriver Single D Style 308535001: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Gvy-9Z4uL.@@AMEPARAM@@31Gvy-9Z4uL[/ame]

Spare chains for 15 bar.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00662VD2K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=A1KA636OXJX7R4]Oregon Type 21 LPX Chain, 64 Drive Links- Super 20 Chisel chain .325 1.5mm 0.58": Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418D3Fyi8uL.@@AMEPARAM@@418D3Fyi8uL[/ame]

And sharpening kit .

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CGHJ52?keywords=oregon%20chainsaw%20sharpener&qid=1447407148&ref_=sr_1_13&sr=8-13]Oregon Chainsaw Sharpening Kit and Pouch - 3/16" 4.8mm: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bjUBJx-fL.@@AMEPARAM@@51bjUBJx-fL[/ame]

:thumbup1:

Mixing 2 oils is fine if they are the same viscosity and meet the manufacturers specification,however if they are different then that is where id say no to mixing.Why would you mix 2 oils of different specs?

To save a couple of quid??

Imo thats a false economy.Your compromising the optimum performance of the chainsaw,increased wear on components,increased vibration levels and ultimately reducing the longevity of the machine.

Mixing 2 oils is fine if they are the same viscosity and meet the manufacturers specification,however if they are different then that is where id say no to mixing.Why would you mix 2 oils of different specs?

To save a couple of quid??

From what I have found you can mix mineral oils of different viscosity to either thicken or thin them same as fork oil for bikes with no detrimental effects.